Uncredible support answer about UrlRewriting.net

eehost

Perch
I'm tired of the lack of quality of support and I hope I'm not making a mistake by thinking that their answer to my ticket no. NUV-91251-105 is just nonsense to say the least.

I'm hoping Stephen can give an accurate and definitive answer about this. The problem is that I'm getting an intermittent error on an ASP.NET 2.0 application. The site works just fine, but once in a while is throwing this error:

Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

I'm using the UrlRewriting.net component and I've been told you are not allowing UrlRewriting.net library on your shared server. This has no sense to me, as the site is currently working, and the library is a just a standard .NET 2.0 library that I could have coded myself. Also, it has been talked already on this thread as a good solution to the url rewriting necessity:
http://support.jodohost.com/reseller-support/8984-url-rewriting.html

So, if this is right and the component is not allowed would you please be kind enough to give a proper explanation? Because I can't find any good reason for this to hold true and I think it would also be unacceptable.

Also, if this isn't true then please help me solve the problem as I need this application working flawlessly on your servers.

Thank you very much.

eehost,

it sounds like sometimes it is trying to access a file outside the application directory? Can you see if that is the case?

What I've coded doesn't make any access to files outside the application. I don't think the UrlRewriting.net library does that either, but I'll check out the source code for anythink unusual. What is really odd is that this doesn't happen all the time, so I think there must be some strange environment condition affecting it.

I don't think it is enviroment condition, what you have said there is what happens if it tries to access outside the appdir/virtual directory, that is why I am pretty sure that is the cause.

Stephen, I can reproduce the error locally all times by putting <trust> in medium mode, but only when I'm coding and debugging the application and because I'm using the build provider from SubSonic that doesn't work in Medium Trust.

The problem is that if I compile the application and use it from IIS, works fine and from time to time throws this error. I thought it was because I had left the <buildProviders> section on the web.config and in some strange situations the application tried to get recompiled, but I removed it and today the error happened again. I believe it happened also around the same time that on Friday.

Could you please help me find out what is causing this? Is not consistent so I don't know what could it be. :(

Hi again!

Please take a look at this forum thread, and specially to the last post on this page:
This: "System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission" only happens with upload - Community Server

"I have installed test version of CS and was able to reproduce the error. After that I have cheked all the permissions again and found the issue with Temp ASPnet Folder. I have rewrote all the permissions and the issue is now fixed."

The error they were experiencing is exactly the same. Could it have anything to do with this?

Back