Under domain alias, what happens to alias mail?

If my client's site at olddomain.com moves to newdomain.com and I wish to still catch traffic to the old site, I can simply delete the old site from hsphere, and then re-establish olddomain.com as a domain alias under newdomain.com. So far so good.

But what exactly happens to mail in that scenario? Mail is enabled and accounts set up for newdomain.com, but if someone sends something to [email protected] do I need to explicitly set up MX records for the olddomain.com in the DNS config that's established when hsphere sets up the domain alias? If so, should they simply mirror the MX records for newdomain.com -- and what about SPF in that situation?

I tihnk what you are looking for is called a mail domain alias, simply changing the dns wont be enough as the mail server won't accept mail since it is not configured for that domain.

That sounds right, and in e.g. smartermail and other mail servers that's easy enough to configure, but I don't see the option in hsphere's mail system. There's nothing under the parent domain's mail settings that allows me to establish a slave domain that's authorized to use the parent's MX and SMTP records, and if I enable the mail service option under the domain alias itself I just get a fully fledged mail service enabled for the alias domain -- and that's precisely not what I want.

So, how do I go about setting up a mail domain alias in hsphere?

That sounds right, and in e.g. smartermail and other mail servers that's easy enough to configure, but I don't see the option in hsphere's mail system. There's nothing under the parent domain's mail settings that allows me to establish a slave domain that's authorized to use the parent's MX and SMTP records, and if I enable the mail service option under the domain alias itself I just get a fully fledged mail service enabled for the alias domain -- and that's precisely not what I want.

So, how do I go about setting up a mail domain alias in hsphere?

This is available in the end user cp:
http://www.jodohost.com/hsphere/html/maildomain_aliases.html

If you don't see this option you may need to go to the plan config on the reseller side and ensure that mail domain alias option is checked

Back