Upsizing to MS SQL

Sailor

Perch
I used control panel to set up a new MS SQL user, then created a new database. But when I try to connect (from CP) I get a generic error - Server Error in '/' Application.

I tried putting a web.config file as suggested, but since I don't think the error is coming from my web server root, that didn't help.

I also tried accessing sqladmin.jodohost.com as suggested elsewhere, but get this error:
can't establish a connection to the server at cp.jodoshared.com:8080

IS there some general info somewhere on how to setup and manage MS SQL? I'm looking to upsize from an existing Access db, but have no MSSQL experience.

Thanks

To be honest neither of those tools will help you one bit.
YOu need to first use the MS Access upsize wizard, then use a SQL manager like Aquafold Aqua Data Studio or Microsoft Enterprise Manager.

The web version of entperise manager won't work if you have asp.net 2.0 on, it also conflicts with other asp.net apps. In addition it won't let you run some queries due to its syntax sanitizing methods.

To be honest, I know nothing about SQL server. I just want to convert this app to SQL before it gets too large, and now I'm doing a server move seems like a good time. Looking at some other posts here, seems like there's a free version of the SQL manager that I can install (although I'm having trouble locating it at the Microsoft site).

So, what tools do I need to use from my Jodo CP? Just the initial user creation part? Can I then use whatever MS client tool to create and populate databases?

Sounds good, but we don't have the budget for that right now. Someone just suggested I try using ADP, which gives me an Access frontend to SQLServer. Will see how that works.

What version of SQL Server are you running on MSSQL9?

Also, when I give ADP the domain name mssql9.m****here.biz I get access denied, but it works if I use the IP address. Am I going to run into problems down the line if I use the IP address?

Thanks,
Rory

use mssql9.jodosha__d.com instead.

You can use aqua data as a demo version for some time :) even commercially.

Just wanted to let you know I was able to successfully set this up using ADP.
For anyone interested in doing this:
From within Access, do File -> New -> Project using existing data. The 'existing data' part seems to have eluded me, but once I set this up and got it to connect (using IP #), I simply opened another window with my old mdb file and dragged tables across. It's as slow as watching the grass grow, but once they were copied over everything seemed to work. I updated my connection string in my ASP include files, and was back up and running. Needed to update my ASP scripts for some non-standard SQL commands, but otherwise this was pretty easy. Also, I've been told this will not preserve any table relationships, but I don't use any.

Stephen, just to double-check on that mssql9.jodosha__d.com - is that a double underscore? Also, where would I have found this address other than asking here? The CP setup listed mssql9.m****here.biz. Any reason not to continue using the IP # only?

Thanks,
Rory

noooo i was intentially blanking out the address.

The only reason you would see m****here.biz is if you are a reseller and did not submit your server aliases. recently.

Stephen,
Sorry to open this topic up again, but I took your advice and got AquaDataStudio. I'm able to connect fine to my db with ADS. However, while I've been testing, my old Access data has been getting updated. I now need to get the new data into SQL Server. Of course, ADS has no import from .mdb. I tried using the Access Upsizing Wizard, but I'm getting this error:
Server does not exist or access denied
The Upsizing Wizard only works with SQL Server Versions 6.50 SP5 or higher.

Can you tell me what version SQL Server is running on SQL9?

thanks,
Rory

Back