URL Forwarding versus DNS Pointing

isotope

Guppy
Hi,

I have a client that is adamant about not pointing the DNS for his domain to Jodo Host, but wants me to give him the ipaddress. He says that he's just doing basic dns through netsol, Network Solutions. I gave him my shared IP Address for the hosting account that I set up, when he points it, is the website going to just show up? Right now the only way to see it is using the temporary alias. Also, will there be any problems not pointing the DNS, like using creating email accounts? And what is the difference as far as performance for URL Forwarding and DNS Pointing.

Thanks,
Jaime

You need some kind of alias under another domain name, or a dedicated IP. I'm not sure if this would qualify as a valid justification for a dedicated IP though.

URL forwarding will be at least slightly slower. It's more likely to fail is you are depending on an extra server to display your page. Receiving email is at JodoHost would be impossible without DNS changes, unless you'd implement some kind of email forwarding as well as URL forwarding.

Lastly, URL forwarding (including URL cloaking) look rather unprofessional on a website, imo.

SubSpace said:
You need some kind of alias under another domain name, or a dedicated IP. I'm not sure if this would qualify as a valid justification for a dedicated IP though.

URL forwarding will be at least slightly slower. It's more likely to fail is you are depending on an extra server to display your page. Receiving email is at JodoHost would be impossible without DNS changes, unless you'd implement some kind of email forwarding as well as URL forwarding.

Lastly, URL forwarding (including URL cloaking) look rather unprofessional on a website, imo.

Would changing the A record be considered as URL forwarding?

Thanks,
Jaime

Back