Using Access for Websites

hatton

Perch
As mentioned in the thread titled "WinCF2, crashing CF engine -resolved by moving to SQL" -
Some problems again, the issue is with the MS Access file, there are two sites that are very busy using access and bringing the server down when using ODBC connections to Access, I have sent off one email now, writing another.

Repeat after me:
- NEVER use access to power high-traffic production websites

MS Access is a desktop engine that should not be used where more than 10-15 concurrent connections or where the file size is going to get extremely large. There are too many restrictions on access files to use them for production.

That is, of course, assuming that you want your clients to get a good amout of traffic.

If you want to use MSSQL Server you can download MSDE or the new SQL Server 2005 Express. MySQL will run on practically any platform as well. Both are for production sites.

Yes, these were small sites DBs, only about 4MB each, but they can cause a world of hurt with more than 20 hits at a time, and that was happening too much yesterday.

With all the information available regarding the limitations and hazards of MS Access usage, it is hard to understand why it is that some folks swear by Access for production use. I admit that I have a couple of sites that connect to an Access db for demo purposes for client use only, but I know that those demos will rarely be used by the client and should it break (the Access db), I can simply upload a backup of the original file.

It seems so many people just don't get it, but here is what Microsoft says about it:
Access 2002
Access 2000
When to migrate from Access

Macromedia on Access usage:
Using Microsoft Access Databases in a Production Environment

What others say:
Access Database limitations and Microsoft's standing on Access in the Production Environment
Article #395

What are the limitations of MS Access?

Yahoo Search:
MS Access for production web servers

That is a lot of info, but for the die hard Access users, my bet is it won't change any minds.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Must admit that I do use access for some small sites (less than 2 or 3 concurrent sessions MAX) and the main reasons are for convenience and my own comfort level with MS SQL (data types, management, etc) BUT have now started to use MSSQL on projects - forcing myself to become more comfortable with it. Basically the coding is just a matter of verifying correct variable types and changing connection strings. DB management is a bit of a different situation.

Biggest thing for me was find a db management tool I was comfortable with... don't really like the ASP.NET EM tool through the control panel. Been demoing the EMS SQL Manager at www.sqlmanager.net and have been impressed (from my newbie point of view anyway)

If anyone has any other suggestios please pass them on.

Penhall said:
Biggest thing for me was find a db management tool I was comfortable with... don't really like the ASP.NET EM tool through the control panel. Been demoing the EMS SQL Manager at www.sqlmanager.net and have been impressed (from my newbie point of view anyway)

If all you are using is MS SQL Server you can download a demo copy of SQL Server 2000 and install the client tools. They are free. Alternately you can use the new version of Enterprise Manager, SQL Server Management Studio Express (google it, I don't know the website).

If you are going to be using multiple engines (MySQL, PGSQL, Oracle) then take a look over at Aqua Data Studio (http://www.aquafold.com) which is a cross platform tool that I use a lot.

Regardless what you use, Jodohost servers are visible. You can use any client to connect to your database server.

Hatton

I Like Aqua Data Studio, still use Mostly EM however. But MS has removed the free SQL 2000 trial with Client tools, so I doubt you cna get the 2000 version anymore.

You may still be able to find a trial version of SQL Server 2000, with client tools, on CD, at a book store within an instructional book on that topic, like 'SQL SERVER 2000 A Beginner's Guide' published by Osborne/McGraw Hill, if there are any left on the shelfs.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll try out the aquafold product; I did try previously to find a copy of EM but wasn't successful. I never thought about the CD in a ref book though - thanks for the suggestion.

Back