Using Access in Dreamweaver

mabi

Guppy
I have an Access database in my root folder. I use DW MX. I am trying to connect the db in my web.

I can test locally and the pages display. When I view the remote pages the database records are blank.

I do not have a good understanding how to connect the database. I have set a DSN locally and named one through the control panel with the same name. What should the DBQ path be ... /mydatabase.mdb?

Thanks for any help ...

if you are using a dsn, and created in the hsphere co, it will be in the format of username_dsnname, make sure you have the prefix username_(change of course with your username) on the DSN for it to work.

Stephen said:
if you are using a dsn, and created in the hsphere co, it will be in the format of username_dsnname, make sure you have the prefix username_(change of course with your username) on the DSN for it to work.

I have used the format of username_dsnname .. I still do not get the desired records to show on the web. The records display locally but not on the remote server.

That is the path yes, but that is not the path in the DSN setup screen, it already knows the main path, it just needs the /folder/database.mdb portion.

Stephen said:
That is the path yes, but that is not the path in the DSN setup screen, it already knows the main path, it just needs the /folder/database.mdb portion.
I used the path as you detailed. Still did not work. How hard/easy would it be for me to use MYSQL/PHP? WOuld that be a better option for database activity on the web?

mySQL will work with access, and is a much better option for webites.
The connection wouldbe like this:
"DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};SERVER=mysqlX.servicedomain.com;PORT=3306;DATABASE=myDatabase; USER=user;PASSWORD=yourpassword;OPTION=3;"

Stephen said:
mySQL will work with access, and is a much better option for webites.
The connection wouldbe like this:
"DRIVER={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};SERVER=mysqlX.servicedomain.com;PORT=3306;DATABASE=myDatabase; USER=user;PASSWORD=yourpassword;OPTION=3;"

Thanks Stephan ...

When I try to connect to database I get the error ...
[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqlX.servicedomain.com' (10060)

Did you replace 'mysqlX.servicedomain.com' with the actual name of the MySQL server?

Sometimes easily overlooked

Back