Vbulletin installation on Windows

I would like to install vbulletin on a clients website, which is on my windows plan. I'm using windows since I need ASP for other parts of the website. Vbulletin states the following:

If you wish to run vBulletin on a Windows based server, you can download Win32 versions of PHP and MySQL from php.net and mysql.com.

Is this something that Jodohost has done, or something I will need to do?

Thanks

So long as you're on a Windows server and have enabled PHP in your control panel you should have no problem running vBulletin.

Thanks Hatton! Have you installed vbulletin yourself? I was wondering how difficult the setup process is since I'm not that familiar with either php or mysql...

Just upload the file and run though the setup wizard. Very simple

You will have to make some modifications in the code to get the emailer function to work. I remember one customer posted a thread about that. Let me dig it up

Yash said:
Just upload the file and run though the setup wizard. Very simple

You will have to make some modifications in the code to get the emailer function to work. I remember one customer posted a thread about that. Let me dig it up

Hi Yash - I've just got around to installing this software, and everything appears to work, except the email! Then I remembered your post. Can you remember what I need to do? Thank you.

you may need to make a custom php.ini that includes your mail preferences.

www.php.net just drop it in your domain root and it will override the system php.ini

Stephen - thanks, but that's a bit over my head. ?( Yash - I've tried making those changes suggested, but it didn't work for me... Also, it seems Vbulletin regarded that fix as 'bogus'?

I've been in contact with them and they suggested a couple of things, including using the built-in diagnostic tool, which did not return any error. At that point, they stated that:

" this is a server and/or mailbox issue. You will need to view the mail logs on the server to see what happened to those emails. Once vB sends it to PHP it's in the hands of the server. If you are on a shared server you may need to ask your host to look through the logs for you."

- actually, though it says there is no error, the results are a bit strange:

SMTP: localhost
sendmail_from: webmaster@m****here.biz
sendmail_path: None

- shouldn't the sendmail path have something in it rather than 'None'? for example?

- hmmmm... helpful! what now?? What did you do to get it to work?

Well, I played alot with vBulletin on Windows and only thing that worked for me is switching it to linux. There are few more vBulletin customers complaining at their forum about windows.

The basic issue is that vBulletin doesn't allow you to specify an external mail server like other forums. It is suppose to use the internal php mail function. If you write a script and test that php mail function, it works perfectly but not with vBulletin

However, please submit a ticket and I'll look into it from there. If possible, please also include access to the admin cp

Ticket 23483 opened. Thanks Yash - I'm not sure I want to move servers - shame they can't identify the problem. You would think they'd want to, regardless of where the blame lies...

Yash said:
However, please submit a ticket and I'll look into it from there. If possible, please also include access to the admin cp

Yash - did you get a chance to look at this problem? I'm at a complete loss as to what to do - seems I've bought something that's completely useless as it stands. Any ideas?(

I've not been able to figure this out :( However I have asked Stephen to do so when he is on shift

Apart from that, my only suggestion at the moment is to take a $4.99/month linux account or pay $5/month extra and upgrade to a reseller account that would allow you to host websites on both linux and windows

Thanks Stephen - I probablt would just host on linux, but I need to use ASP in a different area on this particular website... ;( I appreciate the help guys!

I am pretty sure I got this resolved, I created a custom php.ini for the mail with mailserver= mail.domain.com (with the real domain of course)

Just as an update to everyone, what I had done did NOT fix the problem. It turns out there was a code error in VB, I corrected the code in two places and it works fine now.

Stephen said:
Just as an update to everyone, what I had done did NOT fix the problem. It turns out there was a code error in VB, I corrected the code in two places and it works fine now.

This guy has just gone way beyond the call of duty! Thanks to Stephen the forum is now working great. I've contacted Vbulletin for their comments on the fix, and will post a follow up when I get a reply.

Thanks again Stephen! :D One happy Jodocustomer :D

EDIT: here is the link to the fix:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=693316#post693316

Back