VPS issues

hatton

Perch
Well, after much frustration I finally got a VPS account working with my reseller plan... though not in the way that I wanted to. Some time back I had asked if it was possible for a domain to be a windows host (www.whatever.com) and have a subdomain of that be a VPS host (linux.whatever.com). I tried setting this up a number of different ways (by adding an account to existing logins and by trying to register for new accounts) and after exchaning emails with support got the following message:

The domain you are trying to create, is already existing in the database.
And you can't use a 3rd level domain as a dns host for VPS.

Or you can use a domain that isn't hosted by you from your reseller account.

This goes counter to the thread that I had a while back where I included:
4. Regarding VPS accounts - While this isn't something I plan on offering a lot of, there is an idea that has popped into my head and I'm wondering if it will work. Is it possible to have a single subdomain point to a VPS account (eg linux.thisdomain.com) and have the rest of the domain point to a Windows server (eg www.thisdomain.com)? Also, is there a way to redefine the default service ports (for telnet, SSH, FTP, etc)?
To Which Atul's reply was:
4. Yes to both. No, you can not redefine default port.

(the thread can be found at http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1996)

As I was saying, I finally get the VPS account created, however now I cannot log into the account itself. According to the CP the server is running and everything is happy, however when I try to SSH into the "box" it does not respond. Is there another step that I need to take for this to work? What am I missing here?

The domain resolves to the correct IP but does not respond to pings.

Help?

All you need is an IP, forget the hostname part.

You can point a DNS A record from the windows VPS for a sub domain on the VPS, I believe I know why the box is ot responding, I am checking that now.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad - submitted a ticket on the issue, turns out there was...

The cause of the problem was that there was wrong entry in the default gateway of the server. We have fixed it and it is working now.

So at least now it's up and running!

You should really not bother about the host names you have specified. All you need is the IP as stephen explained. You can then create an A record for your 3rd level or top-level domains to point to your VPS IP or alternatvely set up a DNS server on the VPS account and point your domain's name servers to the VPS IP

The problem was that I could not create the account without a domain name. I submitted a ticket asking about this and was informed on the ticket that I had to have a clean domain name to set up my VPS account.

The DNS host you specify would be created on our DNS servers and point to the assigned VPS IP. If you do not want to make use of our DNS servers, you can enter a bogus domain.

We plan to introduce CP+ shortly on VPS accounts and that would allow you to manage bind (dns server), apache, qmail, firewal, etc. from a control panel

Back