VPS Migration

AndyLL

Perch
Likely Stephen has to answer this but maybe others have been through this process.

I have 2 Virtuozzo VPSs, a reseller account and a new HyperVPS

The goal to to migrate all my customers on the 2 Virtuaozzo accounts to the HyperV.

I picked one VPS to go 1st because it had my personal websites and a limited number of customers. I have moved their websites ( they run my software ) and have sent mulitple emails asking them to update their nameservers and contact me so I can verify their websites have migrated correctly.

As expected... most have ignored or not received the emails.

I really want to get them migrated so I can cancel the VPS before my next billing date.

I assume I can change the IPs on the VPS nameservers to point to my HyperVPS which would allow the websites to work.

However most of them have an inventory program that automatically transfers data through FTP to the websites. They are likely to be using the VPS IP as the FTP host. If those data transfers stop working it could cause issues.

Is it possible to take the IP from by VPS and assign it to the HyperVPS when we cancel the old VPS?

They are different subnets so we can't just assign them to Hyper-V unfortunately, we can work on a redirect basis for a short time but we can't run such for an indefinite period.
We'd have to setup a special catcher vps, that transparently reroutes them to the new subnet behind the scene. It would take a little while for us to prep for something like, but it is possible to do for a short term fix. People are of course very busy this time of the year, some just looking at newspapers for the best deal they will never get cause the store has two of the items for that price :D

They are different subnets so we can't just assign them to Hyper-V unfortunately, we can work on a redirect basis for a short time but we can't run such for an indefinite period.
We'd have to setup a special catcher vps, that transparently reroutes them to the new subnet behind the scene. It would take a little while for us to prep for something like, but it is possible to do for a short term fix. People are of course very busy this time of the year, some just looking at newspapers for the best deal they will never get cause the store has two of the items for that price :D

Maybe I'll just point the Virtuozzo nameservers to the HyperV server and worry about the FTP access next week. ( I can have multiple sets of nameservers pointing to one server can't I)

1 other question:

1) I'm getting the 'Parallels Panel Scheduler notification' email every 3 minutes. I've turned off the scheduler notification in Plesk under the 'scheduler' menu item. What am I missing?

Turn off the plesk notifier service in services.msc is the best bet if you really don't want those notice ;)

Yes you can point other nameservers to the IPs, you may get a name mismatch error but it will continue to work as long as configured for the domain to reply on the new machine.

Back