VPS vs Semi-Dedicated offerings

antic

Perch
In reference to: http://www.jodohost.com/windows-vps.asp

It strikes me as odd, that one can pay 2-3 times the cost of a reseller package and get a VPS web server, and yet lose all the database resources that are currently enjoyed. ie. unlimited databases.

One couldn't begin to use a VPS to sell shared hosting without being able to offer database resources. The VPS systems seem purely for those who have 1 or 2 apps that require and stable dedicated web server, not for reselling.

In contrast, the Semi-Dedicated servers (http://www.jodohost.com/semidedicatedservers.asp) are a GREAT idea, but are way more expensive than extry-level VPS. Yet they don't offer the server features of VPS, have less disk & traffic allocation, and are just as restricted in terms of domains and DBs. What's the attraction of Semi-Ded in that case? I would have expected Semi-Ded to be cheaper than a VPS, unless Semi offers other important advantages which I can't see.

As a reseller, I'd like to move my several big important clients (and service domain) to Semi-Ded, but would require more than 5 domains to make it worthwhile! I know the number is restricted to improve stability, but considering shared servers have hundreds of domains on them I think 5 may be a little over-cautious? :) Up to 10 would be good, same with SQL DBs.

Just my opinion, but as it stands right now, neither Semi-Ded nor VPS offer much incentive to a reseller looking to migrate a few clients to a more stable platform. The domain, DB and IP restrictions seem too severe...

antic said:
In reference to: http://www.jodohost.com/windows-vps.asp

It strikes me as odd, that one can pay 2-3 times the cost of a reseller package and get a VPS web server, and yet lose all the database resources that are currently enjoyed. ie. unlimited databases.

In reseller packages, our profit margins are much more and we can afford to give customers unlimited use of our database services.

VPS services are costly to offer. Offering unlimited databases and large amounts of database space would cost us. The database services offered with DB are meant mainly for the use of the VPS customer for their own websites. It cannot be resold anyway since you cannot integrate external database services with plesk

Also, any database services used with VPS are undoubtely going to be used more intensely (query wise) since it would most like accompany an intensive web application. On the other hand, the general trend across our reseller packages is that resellers are selling mssql db to low-usage clients.

Trends and usage make a difference on what we can and cannot offer :)

One couldn't begin to use a VPS to sell shared hosting without being able to offer database resources. The VPS systems seem purely for those who have 1 or 2 apps that require and stable dedicated web server, not for reselling.

Correct. Unless you plan to run your own MS SQL server on VPS.. it wouldn't be an attractive to sell hosting compared to our HSphere reseller plans. It is primarily meant for customers with intensive hosting needs but also want to sell hosting to some of their clients. It is not fully scalable like HSphere but can act as a mid-way between a dedicated server and a reseller account.. Be a short stop inbetween before going for your own servers

However one thing VPS does offer is the ability to sell reseller accounts, and get into that lucrative market :)

In contrast, the Semi-Dedicated servers (http://www.jodohost.com/semidedicatedservers.asp) are a GREAT idea, but are way more expensive than extry-level VPS. Yet they don't offer the server features of VPS, have less disk & traffic allocation, and are just as restricted in terms of domains and DBs. What's the attraction of Semi-Ded in that case? I would have expected Semi-Ded to be cheaper than a VPS, unless Semi offers other important advantages which I can't see.

Semi-dedicated requires zero admin knowledge, and you are on dedicated mssql servers. On VPS, the external database services are offered from our standard cluster.

However yes, we expect to sell more VPS than semi-dedicated in the long run. It is just much more reliable, and gives intensive hosting customers much more flexibility (installing software, components, etc).

You can expect us to revise our Windows SD services for the better, as Windows VPS sales pick up.

As a reseller, I'd like to move my several big important clients (and service domain) to Semi-Ded, but would require more than 5 domains to make it worthwhile! I know the number is restricted to improve stability, but considering shared servers have hundreds of domains on them I think 5 may be a little over-cautious? :) Up to 10 would be good, same with SQL DBs.

The number of domains on the WinSD packages were set after alot of discussion and yes we were looking towards the best reliability.

Just my opinion, but as it stands right now, neither Semi-Ded nor VPS offer much incentive to a reseller looking to migrate a few clients to a more stable platform. The domain, DB and IP restrictions seem too severe...

VPS is your best bet. You can host much more domains, you are in an isolated environment which is technically more reliable than Windows SD. You can sell reseller packages and shared hosting from that space and turn in a profit.

You also have full control of the pools, asp.net trust policy, and the IIS config with VPS.

There is certainly a market for both, we will and do assist with VPS, but the first point of management is you, with SD, if it is not in the control panel come to us first.

Can the new Windows VPS package be used as a game server?

One of my clients is a gaming clan. They play BF2, Joint Ops, SWAT 4, and AOE III.

I know I could save them some money and make some money myself.

Fervent,

I believe it can, you DONT want to run the graphics interface, but most of these have a dos command line servers that will work fine.

With windows VPS, you get full control that you connect to remote and it looks just like your desktop except it is Windows 2003 Server Enterprise, and it isn't 3d graphics capable :D

I don't know what the RAM usage is like on these servers, but I believe the 320MB would do for most, as I used to have a small 256MB server for America's Army, it would handle 16 players without breaking a sweat, and it was a rubbish server using IDE interface and low grade parts, this is top of the line.

Stephen said:
you DONT want to run the graphics interface

Stephen,

Thanks for your quick reply! I am not very familar with game hosting, so I'm not sure what the quoted portion means. Does it mean that the server can only host the game and not actually play the game?

Thanks,

Fervent

Correct, can host but not play, which is what most people want anyway when they talk about "game servers"

Infact, Virtuozzo supports templates for various games such as counterstrike meaning we could install the game for you if you wish from the admin side :)

Templated applications use less disk space/ram than the full installs

Many thanks for all the info Yash, food for thought. I'd like to go SD but honestly I think I'll wait till something changes, as I can't make it worth the $ with only 5 domains. Unfortunately from here the exchange rate doesn't help. :)

Cheers!

antic,

WinSD MAY go up in disk and bandwidth, but the domains being low is the point of semi dedicated :)

Back