web application with Sql Server CE 4

Klu007

Guppy
Hello,

I was curious if anybody had a Sql Server CE 4.0 web application running on a shared hosting account?

I have been trying to get it to work, putting various DLLs in my bin, etc.. but always seem to get a "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed" error.

In Scott Gu's article, it states that it is possible:

No Database Installation Required

SQL CE does not require you to run a setup or install a database server in order to use it. You can simply copy the SQL CE binaries into the \bin directory of your ASP.NET application, and then your web application can use it as a database engine. No setup or extra security permissions are required for it to run. You do not need to have an administrator account on the machine. Just copy your web application onto any server and it will work. This is true even of medium-trust applications running in a web hosting environment.

But I just cannot get it going. Can anybody shed some light/code on what exactly needs to be in my VS2010 project?

Thanks!
Keith

I know we do not have any libraries or DLLs on the server, nor do we plan to have them.

I've read the comment by Scott (and I read the blog often for asp.net updates), but I have no insight into it either.

I am willing if needed to allow a 'data provider' but haven't seen the need to by docs i have found so it is a bit odd.

Thanks Stephen,

I am still trying different combinations. If I find the "secret combination" of code that allows me to use CE, I'll post it on the forum so that others can get going quicker.

Thanks again,
Keith

Back