What about the slow restart for ASP.NET 2.0 sites

Anjinho

Guppy
Hello

I have converted my asp.net 1.1 site to asp.net 2.0. Now I have an asp.net 1.1 site running and an asp.net 2.0 site on a separate domain.

I was happy with asp.net 1.1 and my site overall starts a lot faster then asp.net 2.2. I converted to asp.net 2.2 for the localization of the site and it works but slow at the first start up, and when the application is not used for a while. It sometimes takes 1 minute or more and I also made a ticket (and the site was relocated to another pool) but it all will not fix the problem.

About the slow restart I found this, and I have the same behaviour
http://support.jodohost.com/showthre...ghlight=native

At this time it is simply not acceptable that the website now and then takes a minute or more. Every new user will leave before looking at the site.

I also had complaints from users that the site seemed a bit slower. That's not a good thing.

Do you have a solution for this? I don't dare to update my current and well running asp.net 1.1 version to 2.0. I converted all the code but it simply is to slow at startup or at restarts every now and then.

I read stuff about an ngen utility that compiles everything to native code but it has to run on the server of the hoster so it can compile everything to native code. Will this help?

And suppose it would help does it keep the native code stored on the server so it doesn't have to recompile everthing time after time again. If it still recompiles every time it is still not a good option.

Suppose it is a good option how am I be able to run this on the server?

Please help

Best regards

Anjinho, maybe this is duff gen but I presume you are compiling your programs first in Visual Studio 2003 (1.1) or Visual Studio 2005 (2.0)? If you are using the free Express version then as far as I can make out you can't compile the app, in which case the server has to compile it on first use which will then cause a delay.

I don't think it's really a compile time issue. The compile time shows itself as the even longer time it takes to get going on the first hit after uploading new code. Precompiling can help that but simply hitting it with your own browser after uploading achieves that too.

The 20 minute thing is related to the IIS thread shutting down.

DotNetNuke has suffered from this but recent versions are better. The big thing they discovered is that the startup time depends very much on how many DLLs you have in your bin folder. Apparently they all get loaded whether they are used or not. DNN used to install lots of modules by default. Each module has at least one DLL so that had quite an impact. Now modules are only installed when manually selected by the admin. That has made quite a difference. I don't know how useful that is to know but if you can reduce the number of DLLs then that might help.

A keep-alive tickler can help. I used to do this for a DNN site at Jodo using a cron job and wget on another Linux host. Now, with the DNN improvements, I've stopped it and we still get reasonable startup time.

Ross

Back