What do I need to do to offer DotNetNuke to my customers?

Just as the title asks: What do I (as the reseller) have to do with plan creation, plan management, etc. in order to offer DNN to my customers?

DNN is all we offer our clients (we specialize in building DNN sites). Hspere does not (according to me asking Jodo staff earlier) allow auto DNN installs. But it is still ez.

1. Set IIS to ASP.NET 2.0 (you can do in hsphere now)
2. Create MSSQL DB and User
3. Submit ticket to get DB User dbo permissions (this is a change in new hsphere)
4. Unzip DNN install file in root (preferably with web.config preset)
5. Browse to site...

Let me know if you have any questions, I do this lots and lots.
Tim

Thanks for the quick response. So if I want to help my customers do this, they will create the db in their CP and then submit the ticket to me which I will then submit to Jodo, right?

From where does the ticket need to be submitted so that jodo gets it, and not me (admin of reseller account)?

Let me know if you have any questions, I do this lots and lots.
Tim

Tim,

Which DNN package do you use to setup your clients? I am used to just creating DB's and then unzipping the CMS package to the web and setting up configs. I am trying to sift through install docs for DNN and everything seems to be slanted towards dedicated machines to run the site. Is there a package and documentation for what I am trying to do?

We just take the install package on dotnetnuke.com site (make sure you get 'install', not 'upgrade' or 'source'), modify the web.config (or release.config - then rename that to web.config) with db info for MSSQL, then unzip it into the root folder on Jodo, then browsing to the default.aspx site starts the auto-install.

I've had success with the wizard install interface too, set up the database - upload/uncompress the install file, submit a ticket to JH for permissions setting and then run the wizard that will modify you web.config file.

For some reason vs 4.6.2 or something was a pain in the a$$ and would crap out the install but I recently installed 4.7.0 clean on JH without any issues.

If I can trouble you some more, I am having trouble with the editing of the web.config file. I come from a PHP/MySQL background so the general idea i get, but this config file is kicking my butt! :evil:

If you are not using the wizard then the only thing you have to edit in the web.config file is the database connection string.

EG: <add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=mssqlX.yourdomain.com;Initial Catalog=yourdomain_database;User ID=yourdomain_user;Password=yourpassword" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

in theory, the current auto-install will edit it for you.
However, you only have one section to worry about, which is the db strings. Here is a valid copy (usernames/passes) changed of the section you need to modify:
<connectionStrings>
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express
<add
name="SiteSqlServer"
connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Database.mdf;"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> -->
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005 -->
<add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=mssql10.trustedts.com;Initial Catalog=dbname_db;User ID=dbuser_admin;Password=userpass" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>
<appSettings>
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules
<add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Database.mdf;"/> -->
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005 - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules -->
<add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=mssql10.trustedts.com;Initial Catalog=dbname_db;User ID=dbuser_admin;Password=userpass" />

I'm sorry, but can you highlight in a different color the actual section of those lines that I need to edit, the language of ASP is just not clicking for me yet.

<add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=mssql10.trustedts.com;Initial Catalog=dbname_db;User ID=dbuser_admin;Password=userpass" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>
<appSettings>
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2005 Express - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules
<add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Data base.mdf;"/> -->
<!-- Connection String for SQL Server 2000/2005 - kept for backwards compatability - legacy modules -->
<add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=mssql10.trustedts.com;Initial Catalog=dbname_db;User ID=dbuser_admin;Password=userpass" />

</connectionStrings>
<appSettings>
<add key="SiteSqlServer" value="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Data base.mdf;"/> -->

Thank you very much.

Penhall's reply is correct, but you also need to note the change of the comments. DNN defaults by commenting out the the SQL Server 2000/2005 strings, and using the SQL Server 2005 Express strings*. So, you need to move the comments [ <!-- --> ] to eliminate the two express lines, and show the two SQl Server lines**. The way the snippet is commented is correct.

Just change the words Penhall highlighted, and cut and paste/replace into your code (starts somewhere near line 20 if i remember).

++++++++++ ONLY READ BELOW IF YOU WANT TO LEARN WHY, OTHERWISE IT MIGHT JUST CONFUSE ++++++++++++

*DNN gives you the option of setting up for either SQL Server 2000/2005 or using SQl Server 2005 Express. They use different security, so both parts are included in the web.config, but the Express one should not be used except on a local machine (like a test box at home).

**There are two lines of security each for SQl Server and SQL Server Express. One set of lines os for people who are using old custom modules that relied on a different security system. 99% chance that will never affect you, but you might as include both lines for SQl Server.

I am now getting the following error while trying to run the wizard install:
Unauthorized Access Error
Error Details
File D:\hshome\rozecommsp\dnn.rozecomm.com\Portals\_default\\Logs\LogFailures.xml.resources
Error Access to the path 'D:\hshome\rozecommsp\dnn.rozecomm.com\Portals\_default\Logs\LogFailures.xml.resources' is denied. The Windows User Account listed below must have Read/Write Privileges to this path.

I have already checked via FTP that the directories in question all have 777 access. I'm not sure why I am getting this error.

Where in the the wizard is it giving this error? It is starting correctly (I browsed to dnn.yoursite.com).
Mind if run the wizard? (you can PM me if you like).
Tim

One thing looking at the error, is that you are using a directory other than your root directory (dnn.).
Make sure that directory ALSO has ASP.NET 2.0 set up. Looking at the error, I don't think that is the issue, but it would not surprise me.

OK, if I just Refresh the page, I move on to the next step:

Configure Database Connection
Select Database:
I selected->SQL Server 2000/2005 Database
Server: Enter the Name or IP Address of the computer where the Database is located. I entered the IP of the MSSQL server(64.71.228.8)
Filename: I entered the db name
Integrated Security: I unchecked this and then entered my db login and password.
Run as db Owner: I uncheck this because I am pretty sure I have to run as the login/pass I created in CP, right?
Object Qualifier: Left this blank, only thing in this db is DNN.

This passed the db connection test and moved me on to the Installing database scripts... step, but my progress box is showing:
Installing Database - Version 4.4.0...FAILURE null - null

I downloaded and am installing DNN 4.7.0, why is 4.4.0 showing up and why is it failing?

Back