What is SSH Access?

MaxPower

Perch
A client asked if SSH Access was provided with hosting. What is SSH Access and what is it used for? Does JodoHost provide this?

Thanks, Gary

Secure Shell (SSH) is protocol to connect two computers securely. in our Shared and Reseller hosting, we do not provide SSH. Only Linux VPS hosting it is possible.

Thanks for the reply. Tech support also said SSH access is only possible with your Linux VPS hosting plans.

After some research, here's what I've learned. SSH and SSL are two methods of encryption. SSH uses a host key saved in a file on the local site. SSL requires installing a certificate. One site said: "Most people find SSH easier to setup and use. Generally SSL web servers are a pain because of the certificates." I can vouch for that. However, in my 12 years of creating websites, I've only encountered SSL until this point.

Thanks, Gary

SSL and SSH are used for different purposes.

SSH is mostly for shell (i.e, command line) access. It's the modern secure alternative to telnet. SSH is irrelevant on shared hosting because shell access is not permitted. Very few shared hosts allow shell access.

Your client asking "is SSH access provided" might be also asking "is shell access provided".

SCP is a file transfer protocol that (as I understand it) sits on top of SSH. It's a good secure alternative to FTP. Perhaps he is wondering if he can use that instead of FTP. That doesn't work without SSH.

It would be nice if JodoHost provided a secure alternative to FTP. I don't think it's easy to provide SCP, block shell access and lock you into your own directory.

There is free SSH server software for Windows (e.g, copSSH) so it would probably work on a Windows VPS too.

Ross

Back