What software/tool do people use for searching your websites?

yorri

Perch
Does anyone have any suggestions other than a couple free ones like google or Atomz or Master?

I have been using a free spider indexing too which isn't too bad but would like to test out a few solutions to offer clients before dishing out the $99US (trial version is limited to only 50 pages)

Oh and I am looking at something I can integrate into asp pages AND not force me to put their logos and links all over the pages. This is fine for personal sites but most commercial sites don't like that kind of thing. Not specifically looking for a free service but one that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars or require me to install and maintain servers (as I know there are indexing servers out there that can do this job). I mainly deal with clients who are restricted to shared hosting so installing server software is a problem.

Thanks to anyone willing to give out a few links :)

jimsau said:
Searching from a db is easy. Beyond that I think your best bet is a third party program.

Yes I agree but I am talking about html pages. This is not in the database. That is the problem.

yorri said:
Yes I agree but I am talking about html pages. This is not in the database. That is the problem.
If you're on a server that supports ColdFusion you might look into creating a Verity index of your site and using CF to drive the search of your HTML pages.

This has an advantage that Verity will index non-HTML type files as well, including MS Office and PDF files.

However, as I said that would require CF and Verity to be used, which may not be an option if you're not on a Win server.

Hi Yorri,

If you are using HTML pages, the easiest solution would be to use a FrontPage search. It picks up words in the pages (but not words like and, if etc.) and displays a page based on your search terms.
You need to enable the FrontPage Extensions on your server for this to work. There is no coding needed by yourself, but you would have to set up a FrontPage site on your development machine, build the search form/results page and also publish to your site to the server from within FrontPage.

I don't use FrontPage much now as I prefer DreamWeaver but when I did, I would say that this is one of the best features of FrontPage/FrontPage hosting.

WebWizGuide has an ASP search script that might do what you want, and it's free. For the logo removal, there might be a small donation that you can give to Bruce, but for HTML pages, this might be what you are looking for. Depends on the size of the site too though...

Back