What's happend with mail3 ?

hi,
since yesterday we start again to suffer big delays receiving mails from mail3.
please, we need some info to calm our customers, they start to complain more hard.
Now mail3 is timining out.
please give me a report and an estimated eta.

Martin

You can assure them there is no issue. The server is being intentionally exhausted in attempt to keep a few more percent of spam away. That is mutiple content checks are being done for every mail accepted on server. As soon as we have our new antispam solution in place, these extra check will be disabled and everything will flow smooth, with lesser spam. I'll see if i can lessen this effect, but FYI this issue is intermittent.

ok. I see.
But you know clients, they only want and accept a smooth system.
Could you tell me about how much time do you expect this extra check will take?

tnx
martin

"FYI" --- several clients on MAIL3 were reporting delays anywhere from 4-6 hours yesterday. I haven't heard any new complaints today. ~68shelby

But you know clients, they only want and accept a smooth system.
They wont be fine with more spam either.

Could you tell me about how much time do you expect this extra check will take?
I mean extra layer of antispam has been enabled and this slows down a few things like POP3 sometimes if flooded with huge number of simultaneous messages coming in.

"FYI" --- several clients on MAIL3 were reporting delays anywhere from 4-6 hours yesterday. I haven't heard any new complaints today. ~68shelby

Do you mean delay in receiving emails from external accounts?

Oh oK, i thought you meant about receiving in mail client from mailserver. Will check it right away.

I have made some changes to server config, so it must be better in a while. Give it a few hours and let me know how it goes from there.

We have had the same issues. I can live with outside emails taking a while to get through, but when client staff are emailing client staff and it takes 4 hours for the email to go through, well.... they are not happy.

Yes, I'm aware and monitoring it. Give it next 40 mins or so and it should be really better.

FYI - I submitted a ticket on the delay issue yesteday and Yogesh worked on it and cleared it up - there were delays sending mail from Mail3 client to Mail3 client.

Tanmaya,
Now all seems to be much better.
Will be great if JH share with us a changes before it taking place in order to be aware.
how much time do you think that Antispam will take to get tunned?
thanks.

dlrmartin,

We do share changes, we had massive complaints about spam so we told people we were turning anti spam settings up.

Everyone is being bombarded with spam, postini clients are even complaining so much about spam getting through they had to make a press release about the huge numbers of spam.
http://www.postini.com/news_events/pr/pr110606.php

Tanmaya changed the settings a bit it my result in a little more spam but the mail is coming more timely, it is a lose lose battle it seems :(

We are working on dspam solution with the dspam developer now, it is an external server and we will update more on this as we get there.

Stephen,
Yes, we are so concern about spam and all know the problem that we are facing, no doubts.
But my complaint is that you made critical changes that affect mail during 2 days with delays upto 6 hours and timeouts without notice.
We didn't know what was happened, maybe an issue or who knows...
We need to stay up to day in order to give consistent answer to our already angry (due to spam) customers.

what will be next step in this battle?

thanks
martin

Martin, I would like to clarify that the changes i mentioned about could slow down "POP access" in case the server gets too busy, as i misinterpreted your initial question. The queue thing is something different and has been taken care of. And I disabled a few antispam settings to make it better overall, but that isnt the main issue there or any very major change, just so you know.

do we expect future changes in the antispam battle that affect accessibility ?
What we have been trying to implement is aimed at taking majority of antispam task off the actual mailserver and this is why i said things should be even smoother once it is completely in place.

Back