Why do I need Plesk?

C

Codetang

I had Plesk installed on my server but I also have the normal H-Sphere and also the remote client that I downloaded from Jodohost.com.

Why do I need Plesk installed? Does it provide extra options that the normal remote client doesnt provide?

No. Plesk is simply a hosting control panel like HSphere. If you can manage your hosting by directly manipulating IIS and the relevant software, there is no need for Plesk

No. Plesk is simply a hosting control panel like HSphere. If you can manage your hosting by directly manipulating IIS and the relevant software, there is no need for Plesk

Ok, this makes not since. You stated that there was no need for me to have Plesk if I could use IIS directly. I created a ticket and asked them to uninstall Plesk then, as I don't need it.

Only after it was uninstalled I received an email back from tech support telling me that it was uninstalled and that I would also no longer have access to any email on my server because the email program was included with Plesk.

This is very important information that I should have received before wasting all this time. I assumed that I could just use H-Sphere to create my email accounts and use Outlook to access them like I did on my shared accounts.

Now it seems that I have to email tech support back and have them reinstall the software... Seems like a waste of time on both our parts...

Edit: I dont have access to my email so I had to make a new account on the forum.

You could install Smartermail - free edition from SmarterTools.com and run that at the server level. The free edition has a 10 account/1 domain limit but that's just a suggestion if you really want to avoid plesk.

Keniso, the plesk installation installs several free packages including the free version of SmarterMail.

Uninstalling it means you'd need to install the software yourself. It's clearly mentioned on the product page (www.jodohost.com/windows-vps.asp) that the Plesk installation comes with certain software packages.

Choosing not to use Plesk means you need to install these yourself.
I apologise for the misunderstanding.

I strongly recommend that any customer uses Plesk, unless he or she has good understanding of Windows 2003 Server, or has a strong will to learn (and make inevitable mistakes in the process)

Using a Windows VPS service, by definition, means you are taking on the responsibility of managing of a server.

Its fine. I understand that I may need to install something myself. You may also have this information listed on the website, which I may have read. I don't remember reading it. If I had remembered reading it I would not have created the thread. There is a lot to remember when trying to run a server for the first time.

This is my first time working with a VPS system. My question was, if I needed Plesk for anything, if it provided any features that H-Sphere did not provide, etc. and I was told that I did not need it. Even on the ticket I created they did not give me any warning that my email access would be deleted until it was too late.

I will reply to the ticket asking for it to be reinstalled, or try to find another way to get access to my email. It was a misunderstanding but that is why I created the thread in the first place.

Thanks for the help. I will check out the provided links in the thread and in the support ticket.

Kensino, I apologise for the misunderstanding. And you are right, we should have given a warning. We usually have policies in place to warn customers about any routines that can effect their service. However, given an uninstallation of Plesk is rare, we didn't have a warning in place.

I have already asked our Windows VPS team to ensure they warn customers about the uninstallation of Plesk in the future

It's not a problem. I didn't expect to get a run down of all the indiviual feature differences I would lose, but email is a very important part of any website. You can't really run a website without some type of email account.

I completed the cancellation form after my email access was deleted because I was upset, but after I have talked to you about it I will try to get things working again before I cancel my account. I will just delete the cancel confirm email for now.

If I need Plesk or need to do all the configurations via the remote client, having access to H-Sphere is confusing, since it doesn't seem to be usefull for anything with VPS. With shared it is needed for everything.

Hello,

Just a few notes here, WinVPS support runs a bit different than your standard support for shared services. It is not a managed service unless you purchase a managed ticket for support, however when we are asked to do something like uninstalling plesk, we perform the operation when asked. Upon setting up in the past we rarely ever see anyone immediately move any domains to the server, most seem to use it for a week or so and then start moving, it is not the first time for us to get a plesk uninstall request in the first 48 hours, we typically take it that people tried it and don't like it, and would like to run without it.

When you get a raw vps, it will have base windows 2003 sp2 features. These are listed here:
http://www.jodohost.com/windows-vps.asp Under the Default Installed Software section, then if you install plesk as an option you get the additional software, but it is also uninstalled when the templates are uninstalled. Virtuozzo operates on the basis of application templates if we install them, and it can not selectively install/uninstall applications.

Hsphere is in no way tied to the VPS, anything done in hpshere is only for shared database, billing, and contact management(i.e. mailing updates notices for reboots etc).

This answer is not directly to you but information for all if they should search in the future.

I still am having trouble getting FTP access, I cannot locate my password or user name in any of the emails and it keeps coming back as login denied.

I also am not sure how to setup my Db's then. Should I use H-Sphere or should I use the programs installed on my server via the remote client? Does VPS still use "shared" Db's?

If you create in hsphere it is a shared database.

FTP is not setup upon installation as it is a raw Windows 2003 server, you can use MS FTP by making a user, opening default FTP site on IIS, making a virtual directory pointing to the path of the username you made, then going to the folder and setting modify permissions for this user, then FTP will work.

As an option you could also use something like fileZilla FTP server, it is a little easier for some. (and doesn't need windows users to work)

I have WS_FTP from IPSwitch. I have always used that program. I don't need an actual FTP program I just need a user name/password to access my FTP.

I will try what you suggested and see if I can get a user name/password working that way.

Thanks.

WS_FTp is the client, you need the server side setup.

Directions i gave are for that.

Yes thanks alot. I got it working from the ticket. I still need mailenable but I will deal with that tomorrow.

I compiled my game server that I wrote in C# and uploaded it to the server, setup the firewall and connected to it with my test program from my home computer. Everything is working fine, so as soon as I finish writting my games they should be online. The port communication was very fast, and the remote client is excellent. I only have dial-up at home but it runs very fast.

This is really cool. I hope that you don't discontinue the VPS accounts like you are doing/did with the semi-deticated. I really hope I can keep this server its very nice.

I still might need you to reinstall Plesk later if I find that I need it once I get further along.

You guys have very good support, thanks for all the help.

Everyone that had semi dedicated still has it, just not offering new. VPS is essentially the replacement as it gives even more control :D

Since I only have a dial-up connection I would like to download the programs, like MailEnable directly to my VPS via IE that is running on it.

It looks like I cannot do this without adding mailenable.com to my trusted sites list.

Is it safe to add this website as a trusted website, download the file, and then remove it again from the trusted sites list?

This saves me a lot of time then downloading the file to my computer, and then uploading it again via FTP to my server on a dialup connection. Saves a lot of bandwidth all around.

Back