Will Cold Fusion Remain Strong?

dvduval

Guppy
Now that Adobe has purchased Macromedia, I'm wondering if Cold Fusion could get the axe. While there are a lot of CF programmers out there, I don't think CF is growing anywhere near the rate of PHP or ASP.NET. What do you think?

Saying ColdFusion is dead is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard. Have you seen Flash Forms in action?

It is far, far from dead. As long as ColdFusion is making money, it will have a place in Adobe. Adobe isn't buying Macromedia to get rid of its competition, Flash and ColdFusion throw Adobe into a whole other market. Adobe can offer a true complete solution to web development.

Anyone who has an internet connection can Google and find out just how not dead ColdFusion is. They can find how many Fortune 500 companies are utilizing ColdFusion.

Here are some quotes on their profits with CF

We just posted the best ColdFusion quarter in the past 4 years.

Revenues generated from ColdFusion were up 45% quarter/quarter and up 30% Q4-05/Q4-04.

As we expected, upgrades were very strong, but in addition new full units were also up 20% quarter/quarter.

We booked a multi-million dollar ColdFusion deal, the largest single in the history of the product!

Over 14,000 units of ColdFusion MX 7 are now in the hands of customers around the world. (This includes new units, upgrades, and delivery of ColdFusion MX 7 to active subscription holders).

Looking at the overall year, ColdFusion product sales grew 20% year/year.

And most importantly, new full unit sales increased by 11% year/year showing solid growth in the ColdFusion business.

In fact, go to forta.com, the web site of Ben Forta, ColdFusion Evangelist. He actually posts up sites that use ColdFusion on his blog, mainly as an FYI.

Here he lists where ColdFusion in used in state governments:
http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=e&entry=1692

ColdFusion also powers The Digital New York Public Library, The Economist, MySpace.com, Uniden Online, The Detroit News, IBM Online Shopping, Logitech, The United States Mint, Vodafone, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, Hasbro, parts of PIXARs site, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket web site, Tabasco, Hertz Rent-A-Car, Smithsonian National Zoological Park Web site, Americas Most Wanted, the official Pete Townsend site, Match.com International, The official New Orleans Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau site.

Ford Motor Company Blogging Via ColdFusion

Adobe uses ColdFusion on their public site. A quick search found two instances, a customer service page, and a secured exchange site.

The dynamic portions of civilrights.org are powered by ColdFusion MX

Wow, all those companies using ColdFusion, you are right, ColdFusion is dead, snoogins.

coldfusion is a pain to manage, and macromedia never had a clue from when they purchased it, I HOPE adobe will make it BETTER, and more documentation and support options as well.

I am sick and tired of DSN problems every few months, and they happen to everyone with a big shared cf platform.

ColdFusion just celibrated 10 years as a functional web scripting language. It has grown over that length of time and is now used to power many Fortune 500 internet and intranet applications. The "merger" between Macromedia and Adobe (as far off as it is) will be interesting to watch but I'm not planning on wearing black for the death of CF.

Freehand and some of the other disk based applications... maybe. Adobe has *nothing* in its current arsenal to compete with ColdFusion though.

One thing that I will mention addresses Stephen's comments about hosting in big shared environments. To put it blutntly that is not where ColdFusion shines... it never has been and it never will be. To truly get the best out of a ColdFusion server you need to have it on a dedicated machine running a minimum of well-developed applications. CF's default settings and installation methods are meant more for dedicated and/or semi-dedicated installations, not shared hosting servers.

Macromedia tried to create a "Web Hosting Edition" that created, among other things, a seperate administrator and CFIDE set for each "site" created (in other words a seperate CF Admin that the web hosting client could access) but because of the sandboxing required and additional measures that would be needed they deemed it as a subset of the Enterprise edition of CF and planned to make it as an "in-between" price between Pro and Enterprise. The result from the existing customer base was, in short, outrage. Small web hosting shops complained that the pricing structure was too much for what they had and effectively Macromedia was convinced to leave the old Allaire pricing structure in place and that was the end of it.

Maybe someone at Adobe will be willing to address the issue again. The problem is that Pro doesn't have the structures in place to handle it and Enterprise isn't geared for multi-sites initially.

Stephen said:
coldfusion is a pain to manage, and macromedia never had a clue from when they purchased it, I HOPE adobe will make it BETTER,

*Busts out violin :D

I am optimistic that Adobe bought Macromedia, but I must admit, at the same time its a bit unsettling in some respects but I think they will do some interesting things with it, just gotta wait and see. If they drop it, shame on them! I really dont see why they would though, Cold Fusion is so practical for 80% of the companies out there who dont need the power of ASP.NET/Java, it would really be a shame..

I'm more worried about the future of Fireworks ;(

I doubt Adobe will keep Fireworks when they have their Photoshop

Fireworks is a different solution, IMO, it works differently and is more web flexible than photoshop.

It looks like Fireworks didnt make it into the next edition of Studio.. I read it was going to be sold as a separate product. Still gotta wait to see what Adobe does with it.

MyNameSolutions said:
Fireworks is going to be retired along with FreeHand. Photoshop and Illustrator are the superior products.

Superior by who's standard? :rolleyes:

They both might be image editing applications, but they are very diferent. I honestly prefer Fireworks over Photoshop, but then that's me ...

Illustrator is the equivilant, and superior product to Fireworks. You shouldn't compare Photoshop to fireworks because Fireworks is a vector focused application (with some bitmap support), Photoshop is a bitmap focused application (with some vector support). Illustrator is a full vector product and should be compared to Fireworks, in such a case Illustrator would have to be considered the superior product.

Fireworks was Macromedias answer to Photoshop/Image Ready . . . and Free Hand was Macromedias answer to Illustrator.

Either way, Fireworks and Free Hand will be retired. It will be like what they did with HomeSite after they bought Allaire.

It does look somewhat bleak for freehand, however there are lots of people who use fireworks and I just dont see a company discontinuing a product that is making them money.

I guess someone forgot to tell Macromedia that Fireworks is dead...I just received my upgrade CD for Studio 8 and Fireworks is on it!...It has some cool new features also.......... 8)

Back