Win VPS IIS, ASP.NET and Ram?

How have those using Win VPS found the ram limits when using asp.net IIS applciations? Just wondering if 640 is sufficient for runnign multiple IIS sites most of which are ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0?

Also what is the Burst Ram available on the Windows VPS or is it actually limited to the gauranteed ram of the package?

Any chance of a reply on this? I spoke with sales on live chat and they were unable to help and said someone would reply here...

So the max listed is the total that will be usable at all times correct?

Any guidelines/general sense for how many asp.net applciations the 640 package would be able to support and how performance would compare to a shared host?

Performance will be as good or better at times than shared servers (like peak hours). Point here is it will be more consistent in terms of resource availability, since you arent sharing resources. If you are not using Plesk, you can try to estimate this locally. Setup IIS on your local computer and run all your applications there simultaneously. Next look at RAM usage for w3wp process, etc. Testing locally will also help to see your sites arent heavy on server in terms of RAM and cpu usage.

Edit - Yes listed RAM is max available at all times.

Thanks.

Without Plesk however there is no email/ftp/dns services correct or what all does this provide?

Is it possible to have the email and dns hosted on a seperate server as happens in the shared hosting or is everythign run on the single vps session for these packages, other than the shared SQL databases?

Yes, with Plesk you get Email/FTP/DNS/Anti-spam/MySQL and most important, an easy control panel to manage. You can disable Plesk services you wont need. You can always have DNS and email external. All you need to do is to point A record for domain.com in this external system to the VPS shared IP that hosts the website.

I guess it is probably best/easiest then to just run Plesk and have all the services on the single box. I assume if we run mail on another server it would be an additional charge and not included in the VPS package price correct?

Are you using the latest 7.6 version of Plesk or still 7.5?

Again my concern is really aorund performance and what realistically we can expect from such a setup. Most of out asp.net sites are relatively light use but more wondering how many we might expect the VPS to handle in the real world.

Does anyone have any experience with the Windows VPS accounts at Jodohost in terms of loading and what all they are running on them currently?

7.5.6 is the one there, but we get whatever is available latest for Virtuzzo. As for performance you cant go wrong with four cores running. RAM wouldnt be an issue either if you know your usage. They will be compiled once, so you know it from start.

How have those using Win VPS found the ram limits when using asp.net IIS applciations? Just wondering if 640 is sufficient for runnign multiple IIS sites most of which are ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0?

I think 640 is more than sufficient to run several heavy sites.

Your Plesk install with IIS and everything running is going to take about 150MB of ram. So you have about 400MB for your websites which is ALOT.

I have some input because I know how much RAM your sites(on win15) are using. I feel some of this information is private and will reply to you as such.
In addition we are using 7.6.1 Plesk now on new VPSes it saves some RAM by not using apache as its server.

SQL express adds a heavy ram load and can easily exhaust all the ram, so if you install I'd highy recommend custom tuning it to not use more than 128MB of RAM.

Back