Win1 is very slow

The problem seems to have cleared up.
One thing that I did notice while I was checking my sites is that one was only somewhat slow and the other was very, very slow. The one that was very, very slow has the name servers specified in control panel as ns1 and ns2. The one that was only somewhat slow specifies the name servers as ns2 and ns1. Is there a periodic problem with ns1?

riley

I had that problem in the past (with dns that is) but that was when the second name server crashed so it was an isolated incident but I wouldn't doubt that the site with the reverse name servers would have been the cause/problem. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to fix the name server listing in hsphere....I wish there was.

What is causing these slow-downs?
Is the order of the name servers the reason my sites are affected differently? If so, what can I (or someone else) do about it?

A comment from somebody at JH would be appreciated.

riley

Win1 is going to have a hardware upgrade very soon that will correct this issue. We'll be upgrading it to a dual processor system. You can ask your account to be shifted to a dual processor machine immediately if you want.

What happens is that sometimes a customer runs a script (for example, a forum cleanup operation on a large ms access database) which uses all the CPU usage. It just not possible for us to intercept customers abusing resources like this each time, therefore we have adopted a policy to mitigate the effects of someone monopolizing the system by having dual processor systems. Therefore an abuser could only monopolize one processor while we track him down and send him a warning..

All our newer servers are dual processors so customers on these servers have absolutely had no issue of "site slowness" even though there have been abusers on these servers who we had to either shut down or warn.

Yash said:
Win1 is going to have a hardware upgrade very soon that will correct this issue. We'll be upgrading it to a dual processor system. You can ask your account to be shifted to a dual processor machine immediately if you want.

When is the Win1 upgrade going to happen?

riley

riley said:
When is the Win1 upgrade going to happen?

riley

I can't be specific. Only when we are confident we won't have any problems. I'd say in 2 to 3 weeks..

We are actually going to be combining this with Win5. Win5 was setup so we could migrate customers from Win1 and Win4 to it. Infact, Win5 has the least number of sites on it as it only contains the accounts of customers who agreed to have their account shifted to this server or were apart of our first failed migration attempt.

So win5 is the new Win1 and Win4. When everyone is on Win5, we should have just under 1000 sites on it which will bring it with par with our other servers with the same configuration.

Win6 is almost at capacity so resellers can expect a Win7 very soon

Yash said:
I can't be specific. Only when we are confident we won't have any problems. I'd say in 2 to 3 weeks..

We are actually going to be combining this with Win5. Win5 was setup so we could migrate customers from Win1 and Win4 to it. Infact, Win5 has the least number of sites on it as it only contains the accounts of customers who agreed to have their account shifted to this server or were apart of our first failed migration attempt.

So win5 is the new Win1 and Win4. When everyone is on Win5, we should have just under 1000 sites on it which will bring it with par with our other servers with the same configuration.

Win6 is almost at capacity so resellers can expect a Win7 very soon

If the sites on win1 are ultimately going to be combined onto win5, then what is meant by "win1 upgrade?" This sounds less like an upgrade and more like a move.

riley

Ron said:
wow, that was very fast considering you introduced win6 last month..

Yeah, these servers get filled out really fast
I remember that when we opened Win2 for signups, it filled up within 3 weeks..

riley said:
If the sites on win1 are ultimately going to be combined onto win5, then what is meant by "win1 upgrade?" This sounds less like an upgrade and more like a move.

riley

You can call it a move. But you wont notice a difference because to you, you'll still be on the Win1 logical server...

We termed the MSSQl1 upgrade as an upgrade as well because although we were moving it to a new server, it was also being put on better hardware

Same way, we are moving Win1 and Win4 to a new more powerful server.. We can't just pull out an IDE hard disk and put it into a SCSI system if you know what I mean..

Yash said:
You can call it a move. But you wont notice a difference because to you, you'll still be on the Win1 logical server...

We termed the MSSQl1 upgrade as an upgrade as well because although we were moving it to a new server, it was also being put on better hardware

Same way, we are moving Win1 and Win4 to a new more powerful server.. We can't just pull out an IDE hard disk and put it into a SCSI system if you know what I mean..

Ok. I think I get it, but let's make sure. My sites will still be on win1 (logically speaking), which will actually be the win5 server (physically speaking). Is that it?

I just want to avoid having to reconfigure things like email accounts and so on. That is why I don't want to move right now. When the "upgrade" happens, I assume it will be transparent to me and I wont have to configure anything. Is that the case?

riley

Back