Win32 database access down

The ever-troublesome Win32 is now throwing an "Unspecified error" when you try to open an Access DB, taking down a customer's live website as a result.

Please re-boot Win32 and/or do what you need to to get this fixed ASAP, as it is interfering with scheduled work involving this site.

Thank you.

IS this using a DSN?

Win32 hasn't had any major issue in a very long time, unspecified error is not that uncommon. Access is not a site production ready DB for more than 1-2 visitors.

The fix for this is normally quite simply a DB repair operation, we rename the DB, download it, use MS Access repair it, and then reupload and name back to original name. Unless it is DSN, when we help to move it to non DSN, because the only thing worse than an Access DB, is an access DB + DSN

Testing confirmed that we are seeing this error on two different domains and two different database files, both of which were working fine this morning, and both went out at the same time, so it cannot be a corrupt DB file causing this problem as you suggest.

Moreover, both of these domains that went down at the same time are located on Win32, while sites located on your other servers continue to work fine, so the problem is obviously localized to Win32.

Nor are we using DNS, but rather a DNS-less connection via JET OLEDB, the same exact approach I now see that Yash / JodoHost also recommends -
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=5783
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=3146

I'm not sure what you mean by "very long time" - we have had to deal with three other major problems with this same JodoHost server just this year (defective hardware, severe performance issues caused by faulty migration strategy, and migration read-only errors)

In each of these cases, these problems were exasperated by support responses that seemed more intent on debating/denying the problem rather than simply fixing it as requested.

In order to prevent this latest problem from going any further down this same path, I went ahead and created a brand-new DB file, wrote a quick-and-dirty pgm to just open and close it, and then uploaded each to both Win32 and one of your other servers.

The program worked perfectly on your other server.
The program CRASHED on Win32, with the same error that has had my client's web site down since earlier today!!!

But I shouldn't have to go to all this time & trouble, to have to prove to you beyond a shadow of any doubt that there is a problem with Win32 specifically, before you get around to actually looking into/fixing a reported problem with one of your servers! A reputable hosting provider would have diagnosed & repaired the problem as soon as it was brought to their attention.

Who do I send the invoice to?

As I requested nearly 4 hours ago, please re-boot Win32 and/or do what is needed to get this problem fixed!!!

If you have a ticket it will be checked. What is your ticket ID.

I am trying to help you, I was asking a question about DSN-less.

I don't know what is needed without more details, and I can't know without a ticket. We searched tickets yesterday on seeing the forum post and did not see any there about win32, but it is hard to know exactly without a reference point.

If you provide a ticket id with an issue, that is much easier.

Back