winVPS DNS

I've set up a winVPS recently, and established the server as a name server. I configured an existing domain of mine with a set of ns1 records (as per the jodohost name server FAQ), and then configured the domain in question as a name server with my registrar, and it seems to resolve fine.

If, however, I try to use the newly established server as a name server for other domains (including domains registered with the same registrar that holds the name server's own domain registration) I get: "ERROR: Problem updating nameservers. (Nameserver [ns1.xxx.biz] doesn't exist at the registry)"

The name server was configured almost a week ago, so I'd assume it's existence has by now percolated across routers. I am *not* a DNS pro, so I'm thinking I may be missing something real obvious here. Do I need to do anything more to properly establish this name server? What registry are they talking about?

It will help if we can have a look at actual domain name.

You can use nameservers (like ns1.abc.com and ns2.abc.com) for other domains like xyz.com, only if you have created child/private nameservers in domain control panel for abc.com.

This actually is updated in the root nameservers(actually slightly different, but i wont make it complicated), also known as domain registry. They are first point of domain resolution (unless an IP is cached).
If you want to know more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_registry

Probably you are done with this step. So it can be a small error somewhere or the changes havent been updated yet to the registry.

Tanmaya,

Thx for your quick response. I've got ameridane .biz set up with ns1. and ns2, and I've established these name servers with my registrar for the domain (e.g. the registration for the ameridane.biz domain has ns1.ameridane. biz and ns2.ameridane .biz listed as the name servers). This appears to have taken -- requests to ameridane .biz resolve fine.

But when I go to change the domain servers for a domain like vchap .org, which I have with the same registrar, I get the error message that the name servers to which I'm trying to point can't be found.

Please ask your domain registrar on how to create child nameservers (also known as private nameservers). Their information doesnt seems to be replied directly by the registry.

Back