Wordpress problem - files won't upload - any ideas?

antic

Perch
I can't seem to upload files successfully in a new Wordpress installation. Latest version, 2.8.6, on a Windows server. See screenshot.. the media upload page seems to work ok, no error messages appear at all.

But the file isn't being physically placed in the wp-content/uploads folder. If I uploading it manually via FTP, everything's fine. So somehow it's "uploading" ok, but not saving the file.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be happening?

29zre6c.jpg

ok as you can see no one has replied, I don't know WP too well at all.

This can happen is there is an issue with the tmp folder, with the new php it should automatically make a tmp folder in your domain root and then all temp uploads will go there, then to the proper place, so if for some reason it can't find permissions to make this /tmp that could be a reason that the uploader is not working.

Hi Stephen, thanks. I found the problem, sorry I should have posted it here. Bit embarrassing really, it was a bad setting in WP options. I installed it locally on my dev machine to set it up for the client, then uploaded the entire thing (and the database) to the live site.

As a result, the setting for where the uploads folder is, was incorrect. For some reason WP had turned the default "wp-content/uploads" setting into a physical path (eg. "C:\inetpub\sitename\wp-content\uploads"). So, on the live site, I had to change it back to "wp-content/uploads", then it worked ok. Not sure how/why the setting changed into a physical path, perhaps a bug of sorts.

ok interesting, and it is a bit like I was saying in the end, the uploads folder was incorrect, even though it was not the /tmp portion of it but the destination.

Back