Zip File -> Web Server Unzip Functionality?

Anybody know how to unzip a zip file once uploaded (or ftp'd) to the server using a script? I'm not sure if any of the installed components have this functionality...

Example: I'd like to allow a user to upload a zip file full of photos to the server, then have a component or script unzip the file and place the photos in a photos folder.

Any help? Thanks!

WebDeveloper said:
Anybody know how to unzip a zip file once uploaded (or ftp'd) to the server using a script? I'm not sure if any of the installed components have this functionality...

Example: I'd like to allow a user to upload a zip file full of photos to the server, then have a component or script unzip the file and place the photos in a photos folder.

Any help? Thanks!

There are components available for this (aspZip.EasyZip), but I don't see any such components listed on jodohost's list of installed components. The file manager availble from the control panel does zip and unzip, so there must be a component somewhere on the system to do the dirty work. Perhaps jodohost could make it available. If not, perhaps they would consider installing such a component.

riley

there is a component called GZip installed.. (I think) I don't know if that does the trick, cuz I have no idea what it is :)

DirtBag said:
there is a component called GZip installed.. (I think) I don't know if that does the trick, cuz I have no idea what it is :)

How did you find out it's installed?

riley

I think Yash mentioned it in a post some weeks ago, and in my webroot there are some folders called gzipcache, gziplog and httpzipreport

Well, we really have no problem buying any of these components but we're going to have to do some research and look for a component that wouldn't cause any security issues

Doesn't see these companies offer any ISP versions of their components

I'm looking into this
I am mainly concerned how it handles permissions and whether it can be used to write outside the user's directory

Yash said:
I'm looking into this
I am mainly concerned how it handles permissions and whether it can be used to write outside the user's directory

Thanks for looking into this. I'll do a little bit of homework myself and see if I can make any knowledgable suggestions that might speed up the process.

I am testing it on my server for any issues, will talk to Yash about installing it.

Back