Alias for Subdomains

Bobum

Perch
OK - now that I have my 3 domains, aliased to my main domain, all three are working beautifully off of a single DotNetNuke installation.

Is it possible to set up subdomains for one of the aliased domains?

My set up now :

mydomain.com
mydomain2.com -> aliased to mydomain.com
mydomain3.dom -> aliased to mydomain.com

I have a subdomain : blogs.mydomain.com

Can I set up a subdomain :

blogs.mydomain2.com

even though it's an alias?
If so how in HSphere or does that require a trouble ticket request?

ive just done this with my domains , my domain is a sub domain and i aliases it with a alias subdomain for my alised site.

emagine-hosts is aliased to a subdomain of mine.

and support.emagine-hosts is aliased to another sub domain, so any emagine-hosts are all aliases of something.

AaronHoc said:
ive just done this with my domains , my domain is a sub domain and i aliases it with a alias subdomain for my alised site.

emagine-hosts is aliased to a subdomain of mine.

and support.emagine-hosts is aliased to another sub domain, so any emagine-hosts are all aliases of something.

I don't believe this solution will work for my configuration. I can't set up my multiple domains as subdomains - they have to be domain aliases for DotNetNuke to work.

tanmaya said:
You may try adding blogs.mydomain2.com as a domain alias with "Create DNS Zone" and "New Mail Domain Alias" options unchecked.

For help in creating domain aliases, visit:
http://psoft.net/HSdocumentation/user_nomenu/configuring_domains.html#domain_aliasing

I would like to try this option except when I go into the HSphere control panel to create the alias, it only lets me enter the domain. It automatically enters in the "www." instead of letting me use "blogs.". When I try to add it in anyway, it also tell me "Zone blogs.domain2.com has been taken."

Any other ideas?

tanmaya said:
Did you unchecked the "Create DNS Zone" option?

No I did not - guess it would help if I followed ALL of your instructions wouldn't it?

So I unchecked CreateDNS Zone and blogs.mydomain2.com was sucessfully created as an alias. Now the only problem is, that alias is pointing to the main domain (as are the other 2 domain aliases) and as such my DotNetNuke is picking up the host header, checking it's setup and telling me that there is no bogs.domain2.com set up. Which is expected behavior.

How can I get blogs.mydomain2.com (which is now an alias for mydomain.com) to point to the application directory, blogs.mydomain2.com physically on my server and act like a normal subdomain (where the subdomain directory is automatically created & the directory is set up as an app etc...) and not an alias ?

Is that something that can be set on the server side?

Does that question make sense?

If not here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish :

mydomain.com
mydomain2.com -> alias to mydomain.com
mydomain3.com -> alias to mydomain.com

blogs.mydomain.com -> subdomain of mydomain.com
blogs.mydomain2.com -> subdomain of mydomain2.com

HSphere automatically set up the sub domains as applications so they can run my blog scripts. I'd like to have ONE DotNetNuke installation running the 3 main domains. This has been accomplished. Now I'd like to have a single blog installation for each of the domains in the "blogs." subdomain for each domain, for a total of 3 blog installations.

blogs.mydomain.com -> workign fine as subdomain
blogs.mydomain2.com -> setup, but hitting mydomain.com
blogs.mydomain3.com -> waiting....

Thanks for all your help!

Is blogs.mydomain.com on our server? If yes, then you need to add blogs.mydomain2.com as an alias to blogs.mydomain.com and not an alias to mydomain.com.

If blogs.mydomain.com is already on your own server, then you can add DNS A record for blogs.mydomain2.com pointing to the same server. Then on this webserver you can alias blogs.mydomain2.com to blogs.mydomain.com.

Tan - you are a genious - worked like a charm.

Now all my domains alias to a singel domain and all my "blogs." subdomains point to blogs.mydomain.com

Thanks for working with me through this!

X( X( X(
I have my installation of DNN3 in a folder off of the root of my host. My site has been working beautifully. I changed the alias from www.qchb.com/dotnetnuke to www.qchb.com and I am totally down. Is there any suggestion you can make. Thanks.

dlmatt said:
X( X( X(
I have my installation of DNN3 in a folder off of the root of my host. My site has been working beautifully. I changed the alias from www.qchb.com/dotnetnuke to www.qchb.com and I am totally down. Is there any suggestion you can make. Thanks.

Right now DNN is sitting in a sub directory waiting to be hit and all your views are going to root. They will never see each other till you move the app.

That is expected behavior. You can't install an app in a sub directory and expect it to magically pop up when you try to go to the root. What you will have to do is to move your DNN3 into the root and THEN change the alias to the root - then DNN will get the correct URL when it's actually hit.

Back