anyone using Webwiz 7.7+ ??

hi gang

i've have had WWF 7.7 running on an Access db for a while, and its time to upsize to SQL. has anyone done this?
i am running into major issues. let me share them with you, maybe someone can throw me a bone :)

first i asked Support to upsize the db for me. they did that very quickly. cool. then i ran the mssql_server_setup.asp file - but ONLY for the stored procedures - cos the tables and content was upsized already. all seemed ok. BUT i kept getting "Invalid Object Name" errors for the table names (such as tblAuthor and tblConfiguration). couldnt get it sorted out, and support couldnt come up with anything, except to look at my code (Borgs!).

anyway... eventually i decided to upload the new version 7.9 and start clean: i ran the mssql_server_setup.asp on a clean db - and created the stored procedures as well as the tables and initial content. Support again tried to move over the previous content, and i can indeed see it when accessing it via Enterprise Manager. BUT - when accessing thru the web - it cannot see the changes - and keeps drawing from the 'old' empty tables. (cos there are 2 of every table - one for my login and one for dbo).

this is very frustrating... can anyone suggest anything?? in addition - while i can login into the new (empty from the web, but content thru Enterprise) forum, it wont seem to accept any changes to the db.... and in admin: it shows the members, but not in the forum!!! :(

any ideas?? has anyone successfuly upsized -and kept all the data? whats the trick??

comment: this is in no way a post against support. they've tried to helpful, but for some reason - either they physically cant do the job, or its a complicated situation....

What's your ticket ID? Let me check this out. I've done a few WWG MS SQL conversions for our customers

One problem I seem to recall from when I went through the upsizing exercise was that I had to change the mssql_server_setup.asp so that the files were created under my own SQL Server account name instead of dbo. I also recall getting a bunch of errors in during the upsizing process, but that is apparently an known condition and I just ignored them and everything worked fine. I knew absolutely nothing about SQL Server when I upsized from Access (not that I know a lot now), but it went quite smoothly. I was impressed how well it went.

yep, thats excatly what i'm getting - creating the tables under my user and then not having dbo permissions. support grants them, but then for some reason i get the invalid object names for the tables....
how did you overcome it in the end?
thanks!

i wish i could... i've been running this thru my emails, not the ticket system.

pls keep me posted, this seems to be taking ages. last update was about 36 hrs ago and said "will let you know"...

thanks

snooper, if you have dbo on your login you can use a stored procedure to change the ownership of the tables.

use mydatabasename go exec sp_changeobjectowner 'olduser.usertable', 'dbo'

Thanks Stephen

not sure what you mean about having dbo ? my login isnt with dbo, its just the login i defined in the wizard.

looking in Enterprise, the stored procedues are 'owned' by dbo, but the tables are owned by my login.

what does this mean, for me?

I think maybe whatever your login account is for SQL Server doesn't have dbo permissions. If that is the case, ask JodoHost to change your permissions to those of dbo.

yep, that was the initial prob, then i started getting all those "invalid object names" for the tables....

anyway... had to start from a clean DB in the end :(

thanks

Back