ASP/Access sporadic error

Cliff

Perch
I have a website that uses ASP with Access and get the following error:

Code:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0xe4c Thread 0xbf0 DBC 0x1c2217e4 Jet'.

/flix/includes/connection.asp, line 10
This error comes and goes without me changing anything. It works fine for a day or so then give that error for a few hours. Support has been helpful, but unable to give me an answer as to what's going on.

I've tried using both Microsoft Access Driver and Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 with similar results. So it doesn't matter which I use, both get the sporadic error.

The recommendation I received from support was to use an ODBC DSN, which I have yet to try, but I didn't need to do this on my previous host.

I have two more ASP/Access sites that I plan on moving here, but need to get this figured out first.

If you have any suggesstions or ideas to what may be causing this error, please let me know. Using MSSQL or MySQL isn't an option.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff said:
I've tried using both Microsoft Access Driver and Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 with similar results. So it doesn't matter which I use, both get the sporadic error.

The error is very typical of the Access driver and not the Jet OLEDB driver. I request you keep your code as OLEDB and submit a ticket with the exact error message once you get it again. We'll look into it right away.

May I know what server you are on also?

This site is on Win10. I changed it to Jet and now get this error...

Code:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Cannot open database ''. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/flix/includes/connection.asp, line 11
Keep in mind the site will probably be working again on its own in a few hours, then go down again with this message. So the DB is there and there is a valid path. Puzzling...

I'll also update ticket(LSX-82761-616) with Jet error... Thanks for the prompt replies.

this error is not related to the driver or any server issue. Rather the dabase path or database format.

Are you sure your connection string is correct?

Well everything is working now and I haven't changed anything.... ?(

So that would mean the connection string is correct and something else freaky is going on.

Cliff said:
Well everything is working now and I haven't changed anything.... ?(

So that would mean the connection string is correct and something else freaky is going on.

Cliff... did you find any resolution on this? I am just curious as it is a strange problem.

Regards...

gsaunders said:
Cliff... did you find any resolution on this? I am just curious as it is a strange problem.

Regards...
Seems as though the access DB was corrupt... though I'm not 100% convinced that was the issue. The version of the DB i'm using now was giving the error before when I had the MS Access driver in the connection string, but seems to be fine now with JET. Keep in mind I started with JET, got the error, switched to MS Access driver, worked, then got error, changed DBs, switched back to JET, changed DB again and wallah, it works.

The site has been working fine the past few days now, at least for the 10 or so times I've checked it.

If the error happens again, I'll keep you posted.

-Cliff

Cliff said:
Seems as though the access DB was corrupt... though I'm not 100% convinced that was the issue. The version of the DB i'm using now was giving the error before when I had the MS Access driver in the connection string, but seems to be fine now with JET. Keep in mind I started with JET, got the error, switched to MS Access driver, worked, then got error, changed DBs, switched back to JET, changed DB again and wallah, it works.

The site has been working fine the past few days now, at least for the 10 or so times I've checked it.

If the error happens again, I'll keep you posted.

-Cliff

I am sure you have probably already heard this before, but I would probably look at porting it to SQL server as a future update. I still have an Access DB at another site as well, but I will definitely be switching it to MSSQL when I have time to do it.

Glad it has gotten back to normal for you.

Greg

gsaunders said:
I am sure you have probably already heard this before, but I would probably look at porting it to SQL server as a future update. I still have an Access DB at another site as well, but I will definitely be switching it to MSSQL when I have time to do it.

Glad it has gotten back to normal for you.

Greg
For this particular website I'm not very concerned about, since it's just a personal site of mine which only a few people view. But I'm about to move a customer's access/asp site over and wanted to make sure I worked all the issues out with my own site before moving his.

I've never really used MSSQL before. Is it difficult to switch? Can you export the SQL from Access in csv and import it into MSSQL? Probably not that simple.

Maybe I'll play around with it this weekend if I have time. Still have more sites to move... fun process!

Cliff said:
For this particular website I'm not very concerned about, since it's just a personal site of mine which only a few people view. But I'm about to move a customer's access/asp site over and wanted to make sure I worked all the issues out with my own site before moving his.

I've never really used MSSQL before. Is it difficult to switch? Can you export the SQL from Access in csv and import it into MSSQL? Probably not that simple.

Maybe I'll play around with it this weekend if I have time. Still have more sites to move... fun process!

I use the DTS feature of SQL Enterprise Manager. Works great. It has been a while since I have had to take one from access to MSSQL, but it really is a simple matter if both connections are working.

I own SQL server so I have the MSSQL Enterprise Manager... I don't know if it is something that can be downloaded free. There are other third party apps as well... and there may be something built into access or support tool that I am unaware of.

Back