ASP.NET 2.0 medium trust WebPermission?

I was wondering if WebPermission is granted unded ASP.NET 2.0 medium trust on your servers. With the default medium trust configuration, WebPermission is limited to only allow requests to the local server. However, I was hoping to set up a blog, and the WebPermission restriction would prevent some basic functionality like trackbacks from working.

krobertson,

Can you please give me a link to the blog software needing this permission?

I am not a JodoHost customer just yet, was curious if the permission was allowed (or could be) before buying. Sorry if this belonged in Pre-Sales, didn't see that forum before posting.

The blogging software I will be using is Community Server (communityserver.org).

I have not seen issues with using community server with it not enabled, I will have to research it. You say trackback URLs don't work?
It is honestly the first I have heard of it, and we run a custom trust, I have enabled OLE,ODBC, etc and will enable others as long as it does not pose a security risk.

I actually work for Telligent and am on the CS team. :) When we were testing CS 2.1 under medium trust, we found issues with the default configuration not allowing WebPermission. It affected mirroring blogs, fetching the announcement RSS feed from our site, and sending pingbacks/trackbacks to other blogs... basically, anything using a WebRequest.

If it already works, then I suppose I could just try it out and go from there. Looking for a new web host and thats one of my criteria... some hosts are full trust, some are medium trust but can make per site changes if requested, and some are strict medium trust and won't budge. :)

Ok, interesting, I have not tried 2.1, still running a 2.0 site, have not touched it in a long time, probably need to go back to it and upgrade and try it out.

However I am running one in asp.net 1.1 and one in asp.net 2.0 for testing as well, just had not kept up with the latest release.
I will certainly evaluate this as an option to add to the custom trust(and we do modify it if it is safe), if I find no problem with enabling the permissions.

that brings the question, why do you only have an asp.net 1.1 web installer? :)

I'm think the RSS reader in DotNetNuke works okay on JodoHost which is probably much the same thing. I don't have anything running right now but I'm pretty sure I once had a test page happily pulling in and displaying BBC news headlines.

Ross

Back