ASP.NET 2.0 separate from ASP.NET 1.1

Anjinho

Guppy
Hello

In asp.net 2.0 you can precompile your code so when the pool recycles the site takes lesser time to get started again.

With ASP.NET 1.1 this is not the case and everything has to be compiled all over again. That costs a lot of time on a shared server especially if there are a lot more sites there that also want to be recompiled.

Is it not an idea to have an ASP.NET 2.0 server apart from ASP.NET 1.1. So no mix of ASP.NET 2.0 and 1.0 on one server. If everyone precompiles there sites it saves resources on the server and sites start quicker after a recycle.

Thanks Anjinho - can you tell us about how to set Trust levels to Medium so our apps can run on Jodo? It confuses the heck out of me.

Rob

Anjinho, asp.net 2.0 and asp.net 1.0 run in separate pools on our servers. So one doesn't affect the other.

Having separate asp.net servers for each version is simply impractical as Microsoft is bound to release more versions of .NET. having different servers for each version would complicate server deployment

BluJag,

First, you DONT want to specify the trust level or it will kick back with permissions errors immediate. I am attaching here a asp.net 2 medium trust config file. It will assist some in developing for medium trust.

Attachments

• mediumtrust.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 228
I gave it as a suggestion because I see every few hours that the server freezes up for about 1 minute, sometimes more. At that point recompilation is being done. And when a lot of sites begin recompiling the server is slow.

Users that visit a site will wonder, after 10 seconds, does this site work, and a lot will leave. That was and is my biggest concern.

My idea was that asp.net 2.0 would cost less performance because it can be precompiled. But I understand that it is difficult to have separate servers for different frameworks.

Are you looking into load balancing so you can spread the resources being used and the users over different servers.

Recompilation has nothing to do with having separate servers. Its a feature built into asp.net. When you site becomes inactive for a long period, the site is unloaded and memory recycled.

Every shared hosting server has asp.net recompilation.

Also, it should NEVER EVER take 1 minute. At most, a site may take a few additional seconds to load. I suggest you open a ticket as 1 minute is ridiculously long and it seems to be some other technical issue related to your site

I know recompilation is build in asp.net, but the difference is that in asp.net 2.0 when deploying a site the site can be precompiled and put on the server. This was not possible in asp.net. This should be a bit faster.

Also, it should NEVER EVER take 1 minute. At most, a site may take a few additional seconds to load. I suggest you open a ticket as 1 minute is ridiculously long and it seems to be some other technical issue related to your site

I also thought 1 minute is ridiculously long. I will time how long it takes to load when my sites have been inactive for a while. I will time my most simple and the biggest site on different times.

Thanks for pointing this out. As always I'm very happy with the support you at jodohost give and also with the current uptime. Keep up the good work

I'm sure you can precompile it and deploy it on our servers as well. I am not familiar with asp.net 2.0, but im sure this must be possible. ASP.NET 2.0 runs in a separate IIS pool.. that means a different IIS process is used exclusively to execute asp.net 2.0 sites

I am glad you are happy with our services. We are committed to help you resolve it. asp.net recompilation should never take a minute. Do contact support with this issue

I started converting my sites to asp.net 2.0 because of the precompile option, and this works. I deployed 2 sites that are precompiled. I did this because it is supposed to be faster.

I will keep an eye on the time it takes to recompile and get back with you.

Anjinho said:
I started converting my sites to asp.net 2.0 because of the precompile option, and this works. I deployed 2 sites that are precompiled. I did this because it is supposed to be faster.

I will keep an eye on the time it takes to recompile and get back with you.

I sense a bit of confusion here regarding the precompiler, or more accurately, confusion regarding 1.1 deployment.

For 2.0, Microsoft redesigned the codebehind architecture, resulting in 3 different deployment models: binary-only, partially compiled, and non-compiled. In the non-compiled deployment, the assemblies are created on the server when the first request for a page is made. For binary-only deployment, all compilation is done prior to deployment and only the assemblies and aspx files are deployed to the server. The partially compiled model is the new feature in 2.0, and in that model the compiler creates the assemblies for base classes, but leaves partial classes unresolved. Again, when the first request to the site is made, the compilation is completed.

ASP.Net 1.1 has ALWAYS had the ability to produce fully compiled, complete assemblies for binary-only deployment. The 2.0 precompiler simply allows you to create fully compiled assemblies, thereby allowing the same binary-only deployment that was always available in the 1.1 and 1.0 versions. Frankly, in the 3 or 4 years I have been creating asp.net web sites, I have never deployed any source code; always binary-only.

riley

Yes, me too. All I ever uploaded were the dll files to the bin directory and then the aspx and config files. It's quite easy. Unfortunately I can't say the same about version 2 - looks like I have to do a whole lot more reading. And now there's a version 3! Oh no!
PS Thanks Stephen for the zip file - I'll see what I can make of it.

Hello

About the slow restart I found this, and I have the same behaviour
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=6986&highlight=native

I was happy with asp.net 1.1 and my site overall starts a lot faster then asp.net 2.2. I converted to asp.net 2.2 for the localization of the site and it works but slow at the first start up, and when the application is not used for a while. It sometimes takes 1 minute or more and I also made a ticket (and the site was relocated to another pool) but it all will not fix the problem.

At this time it is simply not acceptable that the website now and then takes a minute or more. Every new user will leave before looking at the site.

Do you have a solution for this? I don't dare to update my current and well running asp.net 1.1 version to 2.0. I converted all the code but it simply is to slow at startup or at restarts every now and then.

I read stuff about an ngen utility that compiles everything to native code but it has to run on the server of a hoster so it can compile everything to native code. Will this help?

And suppose it would help does it keep the native code stored on the server so it doesn't have to recompile everthing time after time again. If it still recompiles every time it is still not a good option.

Suppose it is a good option how am I be able to run this on the server?

Best regards

Back