ASP.net - Runtime errors

Hi guys,

I am running into some difficulties on the my site right now. Not sure if this should be in the ASP forurm, if so sorry.

Well here s the problem. I uploaded all my code developed locally and now my whole site and all subwebs are in error. They all have:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error.

I am sure you have seen this before. I have. And like the error suggests, I can add a "customErrors mode=off" parameter to the web.config file. Well, I did, and it still does not work. It would be nice to see what was in error so I can fix it. I know how to do that by adding the parameter above, but as I said, I still have the error.

I can take off all my code and I still get this error on all aspx files. Static content is fine.

Here is a thread I found on Google:
http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/18/94732.aspx

This guy has the exact problem I do. Plus I have even seen this error while trying to manipulate web.config files. "Failed to
start monitoring directory changes"

So, is this a permissions thing on the server? What do I do?

If you need any more details, let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Greg

Oh, on a side note. I did some looking on these forums and found others with problems like this. I found someone asking about vs.net and it's ability to create an IIS Application. This was my first thought because I know this Runtime error can be caused from not configuring an Application on IIS for the subweb.

I believe vs.net can in fact do that, but today it's not. I have created subwebs directly from vb.net and it created an application and my code ran just fine. Today I created a subweb and it's not creating an application. I suspect this because instead of seeing "Server Error in '/subfolder' Application." I see "Server Error in '/' Application."

Just something to think about if this might be related.

Thanks!

Kindly create a ticket with all the necessary information
to help us understand your problem.

Any further information which you think can help us is
welcome.

Ok, I made the ticket, and you guys quickly fixed it. Thanks!

But, I created a new Web App in VB.net and the problem still exists, almost. My applications work, EXCEPT the one that is newly created. It isnt creating an Application in IIS, it's just creating a virtual directory or subweb. ASP.net doesnt seem to like that because it also needs to initialize an application in IIS. I just wanted to put this information out there for anyone who might be interested, because I am sure some of you out there are running your own IIS systems as well as hosting.

I dont know if this is the solution, since I dont have access to IIS admin I cant test it, but here is what someone else found to this problem: CLICK HERE

That thread mentions changing the "ProcessModel" tag in Machine.config as the solution. Then it further talks about the service account for asp.net not having enough permissions to function. I dont know if Jodohost can change that because it might have security implications. If that is the case, does this mean there will be compatibility issues with VB.NET and Jodohost now? I hope not, because it used to work fine and I need it. I am sure you guys will figure it out, you always have before.

The error I have is here:
http://d458482.u37.jodoshared.com/rg2/WebForms1.aspx

It states: Server Error in '/' Application. <-- Notice how is says '/' Applition, not '/rg2' Application.
And: "This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

Maybe you guys can simply get into IIS Admin and create the Application for 'rg2' subweb. But that would just be a temp workaround.

Oh, and I should mention, I am able to use VB.net on other servers without a problem, so I dont think it's my system. (I did also check for firewall or antivirus issue here too, just to be sure.)

I just wanted to share any info I have in hopes it would help others.

Thanks all!

If anyone cares...

Recreating the web application on IIS did fix this. The guys here took care of that for me. Thanks!

And just because, here are some tips for people trying to use vb.net or visual studio with jodohost. (or other hosts for that matter.)

1. If you create a new web application in vs.net, the default will add a new subweb to your root folder. You will need to contact support here to have them create an application in IIS for that subweb. (or you will get that runtime error that wont go away.)

2. I havent fully tested this, but from what I can tell, you cant use either the compilation tag OR the trace tag OR both in your web.config file. (I dont know which for sure is causing the problem.) If you do, you will thet the runtime error thing again.

3. If you want to create a web application at your root folder, just make a new app in vs.net, but remove the trailing '/' from the path. Example: Default is to create new web app here "http://yourdomain.com/WebApplication1' You just do this 'http://yourdomain.com'

4. In order to fix the runtime error problem, you just need to have the IIS Application removed and recreated by a support person. (cuz we cant do that from our console or fpadmdll or vs.net, bummer!)

It took me a lot of looking around to find some of these things, which is strange because once I found them, I found a ton of them. I hope this help others.

Greg

Back