ASP.Net subdomains

I have an existing ASP site that I am in the process of coverting to ASP.Net 2.0. I would like to make the ASP.Net version available while the old code is still up. If the old site is foo.com I want the new ASP.Net site to be beta.foo.com.

I know about setting up a subdomain and about getting Tech Support to enable ASP.Net on a domain. What I would like to know is, is there any potential problem with enabling ASP.Net on a subdomain of a domain that is NOT ASP.Net enabled? Or do I need to get ASP.Net enabled for the parent domain as well?

Does enabling ASP.Net on a non-ASP.Net website domain have any known negative consequences for ASP apps?

On a related note concerning an ASP.Net domain that already exists: how do I change the preference order for files? Can I make default.aspx the the default page for a directory over default.asp or index.html? I would like to keep stubs of old ASP code around for backward compatibility and old links and they'd just redirect to the ASPX pages. But people going straight to a directory should go to the ASPX page by default and nothing else.

No problems, with hsphere a subdomain is treated exactly like a domain and you will have no problem.

Regarding the order, put it in a ticket for the desired order and technical support can arrange it for you.

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like I'll be able to do exactly what I want with subdomains.

What about the ordering of which page IIS picks first? Or does enabling a domain for ASP.Net automatically cause the server to look for default.aspx before default.asp files?

Back