ASPJPEG not working on win5

Logan

Perch
Put in a ticket #40098. Error is:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
Server.CreateObject Failed
/dir/file.asp, line 2

(I replaced the actual ASP file url for posting here)

So much for a successful upgrade of ASPJPEG. How come the most simpliest of things never go right here at JH?

Logan said:
Talking with Deepak now in Live Chat
I'm told I have to wait to have this fixed because Deepak is with other clients. This problem has existed since at least 9:25 AM EST (9 hours ago) and now I have to wait to have it fixed.

Unbelievable!

Logan said:
I'm told I have to wait to have this fixed because Deepak is with other clients. This problem has existed since at least 9:25 AM EST (9 hours ago) and now I have to wait to have it fixed.
Is anyone else having a problem with this?

We went ahead and upgraded ASPJPEG to 1.4 on Win5. Issue has been resolved. We really wanted to avoid doing this immediately as the server was pretty busy

Yash said:
We went ahead and upgraded ASPJPEG to 1.4 on Win5. Issue has been resolved. We really wanted to avoid doing this immediately as the server was pretty busy
Can you please explain why ASPJPEG stopped working? It was working fine last night (11 PM EST) but around 9:25 AM EST this morning it stopped working.

Logan said:
Can you please explain why ASPJPEG stopped working? It was working fine last night (11 PM EST) but around 9:25 AM EST this morning it stopped working.

I am not aware of what the issue may have been. I believe an upgrade attempt that was aborted may have caused the issue (after we decided to reschedule). But I don't believe the actual DLL was replaced.

Never had an issue in 2 years where a component has suddenly stopped working on a servers. I anyway I appologize for this.

Yash said:
I am not aware of what the issue may have been. I believe an upgrade attempt that was aborted may have caused the issue (after we decided to reschedule). But I don't believe the actual DLL was replaced.

Never had an issue in 2 years where a component has suddenly stopped working on a servers. I anyway I appologize for this.
What concerns me about this problem is that it started at around 9:25 AM EST, and if it was due to an attempted upgrade, then someone at JH was screwing with something before they were suppose to, and after the failure, failed to check to see if the component was even working. It had to wait until I got home from work 9 hours later to see that it wasn't working.

This sounds like bad management to me. I appreciate your apology but it concerns me that it even happened at all.

Logan said:
What concerns me about this problem is that it started at around 9:25 AM EST, and if it was due to an attempted upgrade, then someone at JH was screwing with something before they were suppose to, and after the failure, failed to check to see if the component was even working. It had to wait until I got home from work 9 hours later to see that it wasn't working.

This sounds like bad management to me. I appreciate your apology but it concerns me that it even happened at all.

Actually, the attempted upgrade was carried out around 1:00AM and it was working fine after we aborted and we did check that.

I am not sure what caused ASPJPEG to die, but I am very sure no one was working with ASPJPEG after that. I'm looking into this right now, going through all server activity in the last 12 or so hours. But I can assure you no one screws around with the servers. Access to the servers is well controlled and monitored. We got some very experienced administrators who manage them

Yash said:
Actually, the attempted upgrade was carried out around 1:00AM and it was working fine after we aborted and we did check that.

I am not sure what caused ASPJPEG to die, but I am very sure no one was working with ASPJPEG after that. I'm looking into this right now, going through all server activity in the last 12 or so hours. But I can assure you no one screws around with the servers. Access to the servers is well controlled and monitored. We got some very experienced administrators who manage them
I'm sure your administrators are quite skilled. They'd have to be to kill ASPJPEG somehow yet leave the rest of the server alone enough that it continues to work without incident.

If this problem was due to human interaction, I would appreciate being told about it.

Logan said:
I'm sure your administrators are quite skilled. They'd have to be to kill ASPJPEG somehow yet leave the rest of the server alone enough that it continues to work without incident.

If this problem was due to human interaction, I would appreciate being told about it.

I had a talk with all of the guys on our nightshift when this happened and no one even touched Win5 except for monitoring RAM/CPU. Was a trouble-free night. We've had very little human error on our servers in the last 2 years.

Logan, what could also have happened is that the component may have actually failed itself due to a bug or due to load. I really can't say at the moment. I've already issued an announcement to our staff to monitor ASPJPEG and the URL carefully for the next 24 hours to ensure no issue occurs.

Yash said:
I had a talk with all of the guys on our nightshift when this happened and no one even touched Win5 except for monitoring RAM/CPU. Was a trouble-free night. We've had very little human error on our servers in the last 2 years.

Logan, what could also have happened is that the component may have actually failed itself due to a bug or due to load. I really can't say at the moment. I've already issued an announcement to our staff to monitor ASPJPEG and the URL carefully for the next 24 hours to ensure no issue occurs.
I find it terribly coincidental that ASPJEPG has been working fine for so long, and now, shortly after you announce that it will be upgraded, it suddenly stops working. Frankly, I don't buy it that no one did anything. Never the less, it's working now... and I'm done.

(you can close the thread if you wish)

I am not saying the upgrade couldn't have caused the issue, but the upgrade happened 7 hours before you say the problem occured and we did test the component to make sure it was OK after we cancelled it. Maybe a reboot after that could have caused the issue.

It was definately an issue we take responsibility for but to say that we were negligent or that we "screwed around" with ASPJPEG is not true. We've been in this business for a very long, some of the people with us have 5 to 6 years of experience in Windows administration. We make very little mistakes on the server

Yash said:
but to say that we were negligent or that we "screwed around" with ASPJPEG is not true.

Yash, you are not reading his post(s) properly. He specifically states that if one thing were the case then it would imply "screwing around" on the server.

This is what is called a conditional statement which is NOT an actual accusation. Those 2 things are completely different.

Why is english such a problem around here or MAYBE it is that people don't take the time to understand what is being said or WHY it is being said? From the disagreements I've had here I am starting to BELIEVE it is the latter assumption.

So is ASPJPEG working properly now or do I need to look into it?

If it is working properly, is this topic not done?

(BTW I was not around at the time things quit working, I have no clue what happened, but I will work to fix it is something is still wrong)

Not quite. AspJpeg is not working on Win6. I get an "object not found error". Also my component test indicates that the control is not installed at all! Please check it.

Win6 fixed, will go reregistered on Win5 for good measure. Shouldn't hurt anything if it is working, will fix it if it is not.

Back