ASPMail installation on mssql1.jodoshared.com

tonto

Perch
Jodo support,

I was told earlier that ServerObjects ASPMail was installed on mssql1.jodoshared.com (Ref ticket#'s #6740 #6745) I wrote a simple activeX VB script in a scheduled job and DTS Meta data package to test that ASPMail is installed and I get the error "Can't create object" The class string that I am using is CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer"). This same script works using ASP on win2.jodoshared.com. This leads me to believe that the ASPMail component was not installed on mssql1! OR I can not run ActiveX scripts. Please let me know what you find and can you please fix this if it is a problem on your end.

It would also be nice to call ASPMAil from a stored procedure by using sp_OACreate, sp_OASetProperty, sp_OAMethod, sp_OADestroy, etcetera. I can't use these to set up an object even if the ASPMail object is installed. I don't have the permissions. Is it possible to have these permissions?

your ticket is being looked into tonto. This is the first time I've heard of ASPMail on MS SQL however

Yash said:
your ticket is being looked into tonto. This is the first time I've heard of ASPMail on MS SQL however
How else would you send email at a specific time or triggered by a specific event? We dont have permissions to use CDONTS on the MSSQL server nor do we have permissions to use sp_OACreate. If ASPMail were installed (on mssql1.jodoshared.com) I could at least write an ActiveX VB script in a DTS package or scheduled job.

Also, I keep getting email replies on my open ticket that says ASPMAil "IS" installed on the SQL server. An initial test of this revealed that the ASPMail object could not be created. This test script is the same script that does work in ASP on win2 server (with Server.CreateObject modified to CreateObject in VB Script.)

There must be some way to schedule or trigger an email to be sent and actually have it sent. How do you suggest that I do this if ASPMail or CDONTS is not accessible?

Anyone else have any luck on jodo with this?

Well, I tried re-registering ASPMail on the MS SQL server. Try now. We have no clue why your code cannot access the ActiveX objects. The MS SQL server is meant purely as a database server, not an email or web server

Tried it and it still doesn't work. I still get the "Can not create object error." Heres my code:

'**********************************************************************
' Visual Basic ActiveX Script
'************************************************************************
Function Main()
Dim Mailer
Set Mailer = CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer") <--- problem here
Mailer.FromName = "Webmaster"
Mailer.FromAddress = "[email protected]"
Mailer.RemoteHost = "mail.domain.com"
Mailer.AddRecipient "someone", "[email protected]"
Mailer.Subject = "Test ASP Mail"
Mailer.BodyText = "Test"
x = Mailer.SendMail
Set Mailer = Nothing
Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success
End Function

Any ideas?

Come on,

Someone must either have the need to send scheduled emails from jodo's mssql or is allready doing this. If this is the case, I want to hear from you. HOW CAN THIS BE DONE??? There are 2 techniques that I know of:

1) Set up an SQL Job with an ActiveX control and use ASPMail within this control.

OR

2) Set up an SQL Job to Call an ASP page that uses ASPMail.
I've tried both and permissions do not allow us to do this. Can't use WshShell to run IEXPLORE.EXE to call the ASP page and can't create the ASPMail object within an ActiveX control due to permissions.

If you have the requirement to automatically send email triggered by an SQL Job or other trigger; Let JodoHost and myself know. Maybe if enough people raise there voice (or at least relay there needs within this thread), we can all schedule emails to be sent.

If you currently have a method of doing this; PLEASE... Let the rest of us know.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

Tonto

Only 61 of you have read this thread. Not even 1 member other than support with any kind of opinion? Someone must have a thought! THIS IS AN OFFICIAL CHALLANGE! The first person with an accepted and working answer on how to send an email from mssql1.jodoshared.com wins a prize. Prize and winner to be determined at a later date.

Yash,

has there been any progress made on getting ASPMail to work on mssql1? All of my trouble tickets keep saying that you guys are working on the problem but no updates. Could you let me know please.

Tonto

tonto, i can say this is being worked on. This isn't an easy problem. We've tried adjusting alot of permissions but it just wont work.. please give us another 24 hours

Yash said:
tonto, i can say this is being worked on. This isn't an easy problem. We've tried adjusting alot of permissions but it just wont work.. please give us another 24 hours
Yash,

Thank you for your response and efforts on this. I think that a lot of your customers will benifit from this. Please keep me updated.

Tonto

Yash,

I've waited about 48 hours and still no response from customer support on this issue. What is the status?

Tonto.

Customer Support,

I realize that you get a lot of screaming emails. However, I have been asking a simple question that really has not been answered. Will I be able to schedule jobs on mssql1 where I can use ServerObjects ASPMail component? If no, please explain and I will accept that answer. If yes, can you explain what problems you are having and when this is expected to work. I am only asking this so that if the answer is no I can look for another solution. It is imperative that emails be sent on a scheduled basis or sent automatically on a triggered event within my site. Can someone at JodoHost please answer my questions?

Tonto

I agree. This is pretty bad service

To JodoHost,

I am starting to agree with the many others that say that JodoHost supplies bad service. I have left numerous trouble tickets, emails, and posts within this thread and I haven't had a response in over two days. This is horrible response time for your company. I would please like a response to the following question immediately:

Will we (the customer) be able to use ASPMail on mssql1 at any date in time? If so; when? If not; Why?

Pretty simple question to answer.

Tonto

Are you trying to gather a bunch of email addresses from a table and then send them right? If you are then don't use this method. Just turn on Coldfusion in your account. And use their built in emailer which is based on java. You can automate tasks via cf / java too. Does this help. Yash should suggest the easiest methods first then work on the problem.

:O coldfusion :O

Anyway, coldfusion allows you to schedule tasks? I don't use CF normally and I can't find anything about it, but the reason he's doing this is because he wants to send out e-mails at scheduled times.

If I need such functionality, I just put a wget line in a crontab on my home server and it will make sure a certain script is executed at that time. Works fine for most things.

Anyway, everybody has their own methods, and if JodoHost supports scheduled stored procedures (even when on a case by case basis), some e-mail functionality would be nice.
I think the Extended Stored Procedure thing someone mentioned in another thread looks promising. I've never used it myself though.

danp5648 said:
Are you trying to gather a bunch of email addresses from a table and then send them right? If you are then don't use this method. Just turn on Coldfusion in your account. And use their built in emailer which is based on java. You can automate tasks via cf / java too. Does this help. Yash should suggest the easiest methods first then work on the problem.
I am not familiar with coldfusion other than it looks like VB with cf appended to the commands. I am interested in this method if it can be scheduled and be called from MSSQL database stored procedure. My emails have to do both: Send emails at scheduled times AND send emails based on database triggers. Does Coldfusion allow a method of doing this?

Tonto

SubSpace said:
:O coldfusion :O

Anyway, coldfusion allows you to schedule tasks? I don't use CF normally and I can't find anything about it, but the reason he's doing this is because he wants to send out e-mails at scheduled times.

If I need such functionality, I just put a wget line in a crontab on my home server and it will make sure a certain script is executed at that time. Works fine for most things.

Anyway, everybody has their own methods, and if JodoHost supports scheduled stored procedures (even when on a case by case basis), some e-mail functionality would be nice.
I think the Extended Stored Procedure thing someone mentioned in another thread looks promising. I've never used it myself though.
This is an alternative method but it requires that my home PC be turned on all of the time. The only problem with that is that UPS systems don't last that long and my neighbors might complain about a diesel generator. I'd rather not have to worry about my system going down. Besides, MSSQL Server was designed to perform these tasks. We just aren't allowed the permissions to use these methods as of yet. The extended stored procedure in MSSQL to send mail is xp_sendmail. A third party component can be set up for mailing such as ASPMail by using other extend stored procedures like SP_OACreate which creates objects.

Tonto

Back