Bandwidth throttling

On my website I have a 2MB PDF file which is available for download. The only problem is when I try to download it from my location (Australia) I can only manage to get a maximum constant download speed of around 16K/s. I have another site which is hosted by a different web hosting company, and I can get the same file from that site at full speed (160K/s).

Are you guys using some kind of bandwidth throttling on your servers?

absolutely not. I'm surprised you are getting that sort of download rate. It could be an issue with your connection with us. Most of the customers I've talked to get excellent transfer rates. The servers themselves have gigabit ethernet cards and we have a gigabit connection with our tier-1 providers as well

It may be the connection between US and Australia or something.. try to check where the other company is located..

DirtBag said:
It may be the connection between US and Australia or something.. try to check where the other company is located..

No, it's not the connection between Australia and the US. I have websites hosted by Arvixe and HostDime which are both located in the US, and I can get full speed from their servers. JodoHost is the only one which is really slow.

This is really causing me a problem. I just managed to convince my boss at work to host the company's website with JodoHost, and now he's having second thoughts because of the slow speed.

Pings to JodoHost are averaging around 290-300ms, which is about normal, and a traceroute comes up ok as well, so there are no problems with the connection. That's why I thought the problem might be at the server end.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

We have many customers/resellers in Australia and New Zealand using our services from last 6 months or more. They have not reported any such issue.

However we are investiagting this.

Interesting....when I download my files with an FTP client I get excellent speeds from the server, but when I transfer the same files through my web browser the speed is much slower.

Back