Change to Dedicated IP

Pious

Guppy
It's my understanding that I can change to a dedicated IP for FREE by clicking on the link inside the conrol panel, right?

If that's the case can someone provide answers to the following:

1. Since changing an IP address can cause up to 24 hours downtime due to the DNS propagation. Is there a good time to initiate this process? i.e. Friday after 6pm? or ??

2. What are the benefits of using a dedicated IP?

3. Are you more likely to get Spam when using a shared IP vise dedicated?

4. Besides clicking the link inside the control panel are there any other changes necessary?

Please advise.

:rolleyes:

Hi

1) Yes, you can change to a dedicated IP for free. It really depends on the type of traffic you receive

2) There are no benefits of a dedicated IP. Infact, if you want to use a dedicated IP, you must justify it here - http://ipdatabase.jodoshared.com. Using a dedicated IP is only justified if you need it for SSL, Anonymous FTP, 3rd party DNS and Virtual FTP.

3) I've never heard of that

4) No other changes have to be made

We would have loved to give out dedicated IPs for free to our customers without any restrictions but this policy has been forced upon us by ARIN (American registry for Internet Numbers). IP Space is limited and they don't accept virtual hosting alone anymore as enough justification for a dedicated IP

Wow... lots of rules!

However, I do plan to use Anonymous FTP so I'll go ahead and make the request.

Also, the - http://ipdatabase.jodoshared.com. link did not afford me access. What user and password does it require?

Hey... I'm beginning to like this support. If you keep this up I might have to stay around awhile.

Great job!

:]

Same as Control Panel Name & Pass

then click on [system] [ipaddress] [add] on top right menu

-Norman

You need to first assign the dedicated IP, and then justify it specifying the IP address number you received

Hum... so there is something I have yet to do.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I keep the same user server name: jodoshared.com

However, I need to add the new (single) IP address to both ns1. & ns2 for another DNS propagation.

Right.

If so, it's been done.

:tongue:

if you already have DNS set up pointing here, you don't need to change anything, it is all done on the servers.

Well... al?right then... I guess I made a simple task a bit more complicated.

However, everything is done and now all that is left is for my startpage to reappear.

I would like to thank everyone for insuring this task was done correctly.

Another job well done!

:)

Back