Classic ASP/VBScript Error Issues

dman

Perch
I have some clients and sites that still run Classic ASP and I'm seeing an issue with the runtime errors on several sites. The runtime error is returning an incorrect line number. This is happening on more than one site running Classic ASP. In the past these sites have returned runtime errors with the correct line number of the error. When I test this locally IIS returns the correct line number.

Any idea why this is occurring? Is there a problem with the vbscript engine or IIS at Jodohost?

For example:
I purposely created a test page with a runtime error to test this issue. When I go to that page it returns the error below but the actual error is on line 9 not line 17. See the bold text below...

ERROR RETURNED
"Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'test2'

/test-error.asp, line 17"

PAGE CODE - see comment for correct lin number.

Line 1: <%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%>
Line 2: <html>
Line 3: <head>
Line 4: <meta charset="UTF-8">
Line 5: <title>Untitled Document</title>
Line 6: </head>
Line 7: <body>
Line 8: <%
Line 9: test2 "<--- THIS is line 9 not line 17 as shown in the error above"
Line 10: %>
Line 11: </body>
Line 12: </html>

It is due to white spaces in your code. Install notepad++ at your end and then open that file with notepad++, you will see the actual error.

Hello Akshay,

I have viewed this file and others with the same issue in various text editors and do not see the white spaces as indicated. Additionally, when I view these runtime errors locally in IIS the line numbers are correct. Why would the Jodohost server give me the wrong line number but my local IIS does not? Again, Jodohost used to return the correct line numbers but it stopped doing it recently... Any other ideas?

Akshay,

I have updated my ticket as well and clearly shown that there is no white space in any text editor, including NotePad++, and that it returns the correct error line number locally in IIS. It is also working correctly on another server not at Jodo. There has to be something occurring with the VBScript engine or IIS at Jodo host. The line number is also not consistent in the line number it returns if I add more text to the file. For example, if I add <br /> tag tot he page the line number increases by two. Any way to get this corrected and determine what is causing it? I'm worried that the server is compromised and something is being inserted in the code before it i processed server side. Thanks!

Send me a ticket ID in private message and I will check it and get back to you.

Send me a ticket ID in private message and I will check it and get back to you.

Hey Stephen,

Ok, I just sent you a PM... I have tested this on two different sites that under separate CP accounts at Jodo with the same results. I think they are on the same server though. Thanks!

Back