.cn (China) domain come-on or legit?

skypanther

Exalted Code Master!
I got the following today. It appears to me to be a come-on or scam of sorts, but I'm not sure. Have you gotten anything like this? Skypanther is my registered trademark and domain name (com, info, net) here in the States. I'm thinking they're just trying to get me to buy the .cn from them. I don't do biz in China and probably never will.

Dear CEO,

We, (name removed) , a domain name register organization in China. We received a formal application from a company who is applying to register “skypanther†as their domain name and Internet keyword on November.18.2008. Since after our investigation we found that this word has been in use by your company, and this may involve your company name or trade mark, so we inform you in no time. If you consider these domain names and internet keyword are important to you and it is necessary to protect them by registering them first. Please contact us within 7 workdays. If out of the deadline, we will approve the their application unconditionally.

Tim

since I have seen a couple looks like some new form of info mining.....since when did China start caring about copyright and trademarks anyway? :D

Quite a few of my customers received similar ones about 4 months ago as well.
The upside was they registered the additional tld domain names they didnt have through me

Back