Cold Fusion DSN accross clients/servers...

I think this belongs in the reseller forum more than the Cold Fusion forum. Anyway, here is my question...

If I have three websites on different servers, say one on win1, one on win2, and one on win4, can all three sites use one Datasource?

For instance, I have one site that lists bars, restaurants, and nightclubs. There are listings for events that happen at these venues throughout the week. What I want to do is be able to distribute a prepackaged CF solution (including hosting) to the listed businesses that can work seamlessly accross all of the servers.

Do I need separate datasources for each client? For each server? Or, hopefully, can I just use one datasource for everybody?

Thanks.

Brent

Quick Edit: I'm talking about a Mysql database, not access.

A DSN is controled by Windows ODBC. Since each machine has its own ODBC you would need to setup that DSN on each server. Also rather than using a DSN you could connect to the mysql server directly...

Example....

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open "DRIVER=mysql; SERVER="mysql.yourdomain.com"; DATABASE="dbname"; UID="dbuser"; PWD="dbpw

By directly connecting to the DB you will speed up the site a little since it does not have to reference the windows servers ODBC database for the data.

Right, but Cold Fusion doesn't use the Windows ODBC other than for the drivers (I don't think). My guess is that Cold Fusion pages are getting served to all of the other servers from one machine. If that's the case, my method should work.

I can solve this pretty easily with a simple test. I just thought I'd throw the idea out there for discussion. Even if it would work now, it might not work as Jodohost continues to grow their network.

Back