Comcast Forwards

AndyLL

Perch
I was told last night to remove the forwards to Comcast from one of my customers email accounts.

I did but I'm not sure I understand the problem and I have to be able to relate it to my customer.

These were brand new email addresses on a site that would be lucky to get 10 visitors a day.

The amount of email these accounts get a day could be counted on 2 hands.

In the 12 hours since I removed the forwards there have been no emails (except a couple of comcast bounce backs)

I do not understand how Comcast could consider these accounts SPAM accounts.

Many of my customers use email forwarding. Is there anything I can do to prevent this issue from coming up again.

Andy

Andy, Comcast isnt providing the specifics in any case. But they are blocking us based on spam being forwarded as the spam is sent to them via our mailserver. They are not willing to determine the source, instead it is left to the sender mailserver to deal with and fix. It is even mentioned on their website somewhere.
AOL has taken a step forward and asked to add an extra header "X-originating-IP". We should have it soon on our mailservers. Hopefully Comcast follows as well.
Also this has been done for just mail5. Consider a case if we dont go for this, not only legit direct mails will get blocked, but all the mails being "forwarded" to Comcast mailservers.

But won't the spammers just include a bogus X-originating-IP header pointing to a not-blocked (but soon to be blocked) server?

Back