Connecting to VPS through SSH

eDreams

Guppy
Been tossed around between different tech-people for a couple of days on this issue, even been told that it's fixed. But I'd be darn if I can connect yet ..

I'm trying to connect to a VPS server through SSH. Been told to check timeout values, keepalives and what not - but I'm still getting a timeout error when I try to connect.

I was told to try and connect somewhere else to rule out any issues on my end - but I don't know anywhere to connect through SSH and wasn't given an option. However - I tried connecting to the webserver as I thought it might give me something other than a timeout error, and guess what - it did. It tells me that my connection is refused.

I.e. the VPS server's acting up, right? I'm getting a timeout towards that one, but I'm refused to connect to a different server. I'll take that as a sign of activity.

So - is there ANYONE who could help me with this?

If JodoHost is interested in the support ticket numbers related to this, they are #26882 and #26922.

I'm sorry if JodoHost don't want to take this through the forums, but I've been trying to get this working for a couple of days now and was once again told to raise a ticket about it through the live support chat.

You are trying to use a third level domain ph***.m***ias.net
for the VPS account which is not possible. You need to have a standard domain for the Virtual Server. Also I checked the ticket replies and nowhere I see any of the support guys suggesting a check for timeout values, keepalives etc.

I just went through this problem as well - adding a third-level domain. I intended to add a third-level domain at first, not realizing that it was not permitted. The hostname I added was something like vps.thirdleveldomain.mydomain.com. However, after being told by tech support that third-level domains would not work, I tried making a new account with a hostname like vps.fakedomain.com. I was informed that this was also a third-level domain. I succeeded in adding mydomain.com as the hostname.

My point is that the plan signup wizard is very confusing in this regard. The wizard asks for a "Virtual private server hostname" and the help text says "Please keep in mind that hostname should be a fully qualified domain name." My understanding of what a hostname is, is that it is the "vps" in "vps.fakedomain.com" or the entire name "vps.fakedomain.com". The "fully qualified domain name" (FQDN ) is explicitly "vps.fakedomain.com". However, it seems to me that what the wizard really wants is not a FQDN at all, but just a domain name (i.e. fakedomain.com).

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me. If I'm correct, hopefully this post will help somebody else to avoid the headaches that I went through. Maybe the text on the wizard should be clarified.

You can use any domain, it may be fake. I know the signup process is confusing and I'll be bringing this up at PSOFT's forum.

If you enter a domain, it creates a DNS record for that domain on our DNS servers pointing to your VPS IP. This may or may not be of utility to a VPS customer. But most VPS customers would rather setup their own DNS server on their VPS acount.

Rajneesh said:
You are trying to use a third level domain ph***.m***ias.net
for the VPS account which is not possible. You need to have a standard domain for the Virtual Server. Also I checked the ticket replies and nowhere I see any of the support guys suggesting a check for timeout values, keepalives etc.

Thanks Rajneesh, I'll nuke the account and set up a new one. The timouts etc was instructed through a live chat. I've just forwarded the full transcript that I recived to you over e-mail so that you can verify it.

Back