Couple of questions before I move my sites here.

AndyLL

Perch
I have a test account and everything looks good but before I commit to moving my 2 sites here I have a couple of questions.

1. Log files - I've turned them on and they are being created. I'll be downloading them but I'm not sure when the individual logs get created and how they get cleaned up.

2. Directory permissions - Since I'll be on a windows server I believe I'll have to request to have a directory set to writable. Can I do that on a test account so I can fully test my site?

3. I want to confirm that I can host multiple domains on 1 account with separate email accounts. (my current host cannot do this... I can have multiple domains but the email is shared)

4. Domain transfer - One of my domains I control... the other is through my current host. How does that work... do I transfer my domain registration to you guys?

The service looks great so far....

Andy

Hi

1) I believe they are created on an hourly basis. We can adjust these properties if you so desire

2) Yes, Windows directory permissions are done manually. You can go ahead and request these permissions on your test account

3) Yes, you can host multiple completely independent websites with us. You can create separate mail boxes as well

4) Ask your current host to change your domain's DNS settings to ns1.jodoshared.com and ns2.jodoshared.com.

3) All JodoHost's plans allow multiple domains. Even the least expensive plan allows up to 3 domains in the monthly price. You can add more on an ala-cart basis (if you needed 4 for example) or you could upgrade to a higher package plan. And this means totally separate domains, with different email, etc.

4) You can just go to the place where the domain is registered and configure it to not use their DNS server but instead use the DNS server at JodoHost. I know on eNom this is a simple setting. Once it is set all the other DNS options there at eNom go away (mail forwarding, parking pages, etc) because all that is done over on the JodoHost DNS now.

Hope this info helps. Welcome aboard.

AndyLL said:
I have a test account and everything looks good but before I commit to moving my 2 sites here I have a couple of questions.

1. Log files - I've turned them on and they are being created. I'll be downloading them but I'm not sure when the individual logs get created and how they get cleaned up.

2. Directory permissions - Since I'll be on a windows server I believe I'll have to request to have a directory set to writable. Can I do that on a test account so I can fully test my site?

3. I want to confirm that I can host multiple domains on 1 account with separate email accounts. (my current host cannot do this... I can have multiple domains but the email is shared)

4. Domain transfer - One of my domains I control... the other is through my current host. How does that work... do I transfer my domain registration to you guys?

The service looks great so far....

Andy

Yash said:
Hi

1) I believe they are created on an hourly basis. We can adjust these properties if you so desire

Hourly is fine, I'll combine them on my side. Will I be able to delete them after I download them or do you guys already have a script that is cleaning them up?

It looks like there will be separate directories for each domains logs ?

Brawney...
<4) You can just go to the place where the domain is registered>

My current host never gave me access to the registration. I've asked them how they want to handle it.

Andy

Yash said:
You'll have to delete them off the server yourself

Great... the site runs fine and I love the options I will have with you if I move.

I assume the site speed I'm getting now on the test account is what I'll always have.

I have a tough choice to make... I been very happy with my current host (current site speed is great) but they would not give me access to the raw logs which I really need... and I offered to pay for it.

Andy

Yep, I'm assuming you are on Win4 right now. That's one of our newer servers.

We never overload the servers. Customers on win1, win2 and win3 as well as those on the old cluster can testify

Yash said:
Yep, I'm assuming you are on Win4 right now. That's one of our newer servers.

We never overload the servers. Customers on win1, win2 and win3 as well as those on the old cluster can testify

I'm ready to move. Everyone I had look at it felt the speed was the same as my old host.

So...

1) I've paid through paypal... it still wouldn't let me add a domain... I assume it will take time for the payment to go through?
2) Do I just add a new domain and delete the temp one? Or is there a way to convert the temp domain to my main domain?

Andy

1. Billing has credited your payment. You can add domain now.
2. You need to add new domain and FTP files. There is not such way to convert existing domain.

atulkumar said:
1. Billing has credited your payment. You can add domain now.
2. You need to add new domain and FTP files. There is not such way to convert existing domain.

Everything worked with no problems on the 1st domain. (Once I realized by default index.html is used)

I love having some much control through the CP.

I assume there is no way to access the CP without having to go through port 8080? It is unlikely at work IT will allow me to open the port through the firewall.

ANdy

AndyLL said:
I assume there is no way to access the CP without having to go through port 8080? It is unlikely at work IT will allow me to open the port through the firewall.
According to Yash back in November 2003, they wouldn't change it to 80 at the recommendation of the publisher. See this thread: http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=523.

The IT dept where I work has stuff locked down tight (US government facility), but fortunately 8080 is open.

Back