desktop stats program???

yorri

Perch
does anyone know of a desktop program that I can use to give me the info about stats. Webalizer is soooooo bad.

I've done a search but everything I have found has been so complicated to set up.

the term desktop is used to refer to a home computer. It essentially means a non internet based application.

Yeah, that's what I don't understand. You what Stats for your Desktop? If you want stats for your PWS, then it wouldn't be a desktop stats program, it would be internet server based. So once again, what do you mean by desktop?

thanks StPatrick...I will check it out.

Bliss I don't know why you don't understand...I want something to replace webalizer but since I cannot install software on Jodohost's servers I have no alternative to run the program on my desktop!

although..as a side note...we probably should stop calling them desktop applications now that laptop sales exceded desktop sales recently :p

we probably should stop calling them desktop applications now that laptop sales exceded desktop sales recently
Lol, that's right :) But I still prefer a full PC though I do have a laptop as well.

Also about webalizer. I tried it first too, actually I thought it parses IIS logs, but instead it just creates its own, downgrading the site performance and downgrading dramatically! While I was using Webalizer, I've got many times "timout expired" errors. Then turned it off and everything ran ok (note, without any changes in my scripts of course). Thus the best way is just to download raw log files and use other tools, like FastStats Analyzer for parsing.

BTW, you can check several such applications. Here is the link to tucows:
http://www.tucows.com/log95_default.html

Try Sawmill from http://www.sawmill.net

It's user friendly, easy to install/set up and gives a graphical representation by analysing your log files using what ever specifications you want e.g. time period, bandwith, all features etc.

You need to download the log files from your server or tell the program where they are on your FTP site (with the login/pass to access these), but the pages that are produced can be saved and displayed as web pages on your site.

I think they do a free trial as well.

JL

Originally posted by StPatrick
Also about webalizer. I tried it first too, actually I thought it parses IIS logs, but instead it just creates its own, downgrading the site performance and downgrading dramatically! While I was using Webalizer, I've got many times "timout expired" errors. Then turned it off and everything ran ok

I would absolutely disagree that it downgrades performance. We have some very resource intensive sites (using SQL Server backend) that have Webalizer turned on. Their sites load without any problems and timeout errors are unheard of. When were you getting these errors? If you had submitted a ticket we could have looked into it.

Well, it was awhile ago, I can turn it on again to try, but anyway don't need it, just wanted to see what it is and what it does. At that time I had both IIS logs and Webalizer turned on, maybe they somehow couldn't work together,I dunno.

We had some time out issues on our SQL server some time back but we quickly solved that by shifting some database load to other servers.

Any tips for installing? Should I run this on my local desktop within it's own web server mode? Then I just point it to my ftp site to get the logs? Where is the directory holding my logs?

jldesign said:
Try Sawmill from http://www.sawmill.net

It's user friendly, easy to install/set up and gives a graphical representation by analysing your log files using what ever specifications you want e.g. time period, bandwith, all features etc.

You need to download the log files from your server or tell the program where they are on your FTP site (with the login/pass to access these), but the pages that are produced can be saved and displayed as web pages on your site.

I think they do a free trial as well.

JL

I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for info on Stats. I have turned off Webalizer. How do I turn on IIS logs?

Thanks!

Dave said:
I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for info on Stats. I have turned off Webalizer. How do I turn on IIS logs?

Thanks!

It's called "Transfer Log" and it's right above "Webalizer" (the one you just turned off) on the domain settings page.

riley

Back