DNN speed

gogo

Guppy
Hello everyone,

I am planning to take a reseller package here and I am very interested in getting some information about DNN speed on servers here. I mean, I do have many complaints from collegues of mine who had very slow DNN portals (according to them it's due to hosting provider). Any link to some DNN site served on JodoHost is very appreciated. :)

Regards

gogo,

I will let someone post a link on their own, as we can not expose a customer link without their consent, but in general the way DNN and all asp.net works would be that the first vistor since the last IIS startup would take a bit longer to load, as it has to compile the code and store it in a template cache. However, after that point it should be quite fast in all pageloads, taking the same time as static html and sometimes even faster.

Hi Gogo

I'm a new reseller here and just installed a few DNN sites. I don't really want to post the links but the performance is pretty good. As Stephen says, the first hit is always slower. After that it is really fast. I have a site with a free third party calendar module on the front page and that takes about 5 seconds on the first hit.

On my previous host I used a cron job running on another Linux host to kick the DNN sites every 19 minutes before the timeout at 20. That's kind of a kludgy, wasteful thing to do and it messes up the stats but it did work. Here at Jodo, its fast enough so I don't think I'll be doing that. Of course if your site is busy enough, normal visitors will keep it alive.

So far I'm very happy with hosting DNN at Jodo.

Cheers
Ross

Thank you both for your fast answers,

I already signed for the package and currently following step-by-step guide to setup it. :)

Kind regards

gogo

Well, good luck. Let me know if you need some advice or whatever moving the DNN sites. Its a bit more complicated than moving your average site. I'm sure Jodo support can help too. What I found is that its really best if you can zip up the files at the old host. I tried FTP first and got tripped up by some of the directories that just have a zero length PlaceHolder.txt file, especially the Cache folder in Portals/_default I think it was. I don't know if its my FTP client or their server but the zero length files didn't come across. Moving lots of small files with FTP is very tedious anyway even when it works correctly.

For the db move, I used DTS in SQL Server Enterprise manager. Its the 'copy database objects' type task you want. If you can get a SQL backup from the old host then I think Jodo can restore it which is another way.

Ross

Hi Tetranz,

thx for your generous offer. To be honest I am primary software developer (.NET + SQL Server development in present days) and I was not too much involved in administrating (of course I am able to setup everything I need in IIS, but nevertheless :) )

Anyway, my contacts with DNN was mostly regarding helping junior developers solve problems with ASP.NET (15+ years of experience in programming) - I did create some test modules, but was not interested too much. Maybe I was wrong, because DNN is one nice peace of software and now I do have some plans regarding it.

I would like to add one more thing - if you're going to experience any problems with DTS-es, please fell free to contact me anytime - I would be glad to help if I can.

Kind regards

Some DNN are really nice but they charge you money. I would rather go for an open source CMS system

Back