Do log files count towards bandwidth

Dave

Perch
I suspect I know the answer to this just having read the topic about SQL Server consuming bandwidth. But I'm not sure if creating IIS log files is counted towards the bandwidth limits, as I'm not sure if they are just written locally to the hard drive or go over the network somewhere. My log files are in the neighbourhood of 500 megs per day. So obviously 15 GB of logs being created every 30 days, if added to my bandwidth quota, is costing me a pretty penny that I might otherwise want to save.

Also, while on the subject, does deleting a 500 meg log file via FTP just send the delete command and that's it, or does deleting a file somehow consume bandwidth?

Thanks for any info on this.

The log file consumes space, but not bandwidth, it is all local, deleting via FTP is does use bandwidth, but only a few bytes to execute the command :)

I was lead to believe otherwise, so I thought I'd better get clarification. Thanks for clearing that up, Stephen.

You have many logs for sure, if you actually go to download them it will of course use the bandwidth, but deleting via FTP does not require yu to download them.

Back