Do You Know About Net Neutrality?

Do You Know About Net Neutrality?

Net Neutrality keeps your ISP from blocking your freedom to access websites of your choice.

The COPE Act is a bill currently in the US Congress that will allow your ISP to control your Internet access.

Scenario: Does your ISP have a financial interest in Yahoo? Net Neutrality keeps your ISP from blocking your access to Google. If the COPE Act bill passes, your ISP, the one with a financial interest in Yahoo, will be allowed to block your access to Google.

Scenario: Do you own a small Internet services business? Does your potential customer's ISP have a financial interest in a large Internet services business? If the COPE Act bill passes, your ISP, the one with a financial interest in that large Internet services business, will be allowed to block your potential customers from accessing your small Internet services business website.

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

For a while my ISP actually did redirect some search engine to their own (believe it was the MSN one IE wants to use), by tampering with the DNS record. Luckily I'm running my own nameserver, so I just pointed it to the root servers instead of my ISP's.

I think they got complaints or legal action though, they changed it back after a while.

Wanadoo, it's an originally French ISP that's also active in the Netherlands.
They won't be affected by this bill, it was just to illustrate that companies have already tried to do this on a small scale basically.

Back