Domain aliases with separate email domains?

antic

Perch
A customer has asked for something a bit special.. how do I do this in HSphere (Windows)? He has 3 domains, each belonging to a shop branch. He wants the same web site for all 3, just with a couple of minor changes for each one.

So I thought setting up one site (one domain + 2 domain aliases) would work. The home page script will check which domain was requested and show the appropriate wording change there. Simple enough.

Problem is, he wants the "info@" address for each domain to be separate. If I use domain aliases, "info@domain1" is the same account as "info@domain2".

So is there some way to "centralise" the web site, but still have separate email domains, so "info@" is a separate account for each domain?

I am pretty sure you can mail a domain alias, and keep the mail hosting as mail hosting and not an alias, at least I seem to remember this being an option. I know the 3.2 version of hsphere changed domain aliases extensively however.

Thanks Stephen.

Just tried the following:
1. Create second domain "without web hosting" and "with email hosting".
2. Tried adding that domain alias to the primary domain ("create DNS zone" ticked, "mail domain alias" unticked).

HSphere comes back with "Domain name already taken."

Or am I doing it wrong? :)

No you dont want to add it without hosting you will need to add to existing domain as a domain alias but leave the 'add as mail domain' option unchecked. You may need to check the plan also as there wa s an opption to allow 'old style' domain aliases at one point i am not sure if it shows on new plans or only 'old' plans (meaning plan made before domain aliaschanges)

Thanks Stephen.

Ok, I added the domain alias with the "New Mail Domain Alias" option unticked.

Now what? :) How do I set up the separate email domain?

Do you see it in the mail server dropdown?

I think I thought of an alternative way as well.

when you add the domain alias there is an option about 'create dns zone', if you do NOT create the dns zone, you could have that in control by the mail account plan you made, and make a custom DNS entry(in the DNs editor) pointing A records for www and * (and MX) to the proper places manually.

Back