Domain Aliasing in DNN

Hi all,

I'm working with DNN and having the following question regarding domain aliasing: is it possible for a subdomain, sub.mydomain.com, to point to www.mydomain.com (where DNN is) - so that sub.mydomain.com can be setup in Nuke as a parent portal? How can I do that?

Thank you very much,

Nguyen

Yes, you can do that, no problem.

This thread relates to the same question.

1) sub.mydomain.com must point to the same IP number. I guess that's obvious :). If mydomain.com is already your DNN site at Jodo then I think that's already done by default because there is a wildcard in the dns so that [anything].mydomain.com points there.

2) Create a domain alias so that IIS knows to hit your DNN site when it gets a request for that subdomain. Do this in your HSphere control for that domain, under Domains / Domain aliases. Add sub.mydomain.com as a domain alias. I think you should leave "Create DNS zone" unchecked because its already in the dns.

3) In DNN, create a new parent portal where the "Portal Alias" is sub.mydomain.com.

That should do it.

Cheers
Ross

Hi, I cannot execute the step 2 because the Domain Alias section of mydomain.com in H-sphere only allows me to specify a alias which starts with 'www.', thus I cannot specify sub.mydomain.com as an alias. Am I doing the right thing?

Nguyen

Hi, I just ignore the 'www.' and it works like charm :) , a bug of H-sphere I guess.

Thank you very much for your detailed advices.

Nguyen

Oh yes, I forgot about that www. It confused me the first time too. Its simply wrong and shouldn't be there. Someone should probably report it to the HSphere people as a (sort of) bug.

Back