DotNetNuke 3.1.0 Missing 10 Modules

This is kind of weird... Originally I Uploaded the DotNetNuke Installer File (DotNetNuke_3.1.0_Install.zip) to a subdirectory in my FijiOz account, and got support to extract and install it for me.. .that all went fine, but the install is missing a whole lot of core modules (eg: Contact, Discussion, Text/Html, etc)... its missing 10 core modules.

I used the same file to install DNN on my local test machine, and it installed fine with all 20 core modules.

I've just chatted with Tanmaya (Jodo Support), who downloaded a new copy of the installer file for me, and re-extracted it over the top of my current installation, but it made no difference. I tried to "Syncronise file system with database" in the DNN File manager, but that didnt make a difference either. The module directories exist on the server, but DNN doesnt know they're there.

Do you know how i can get these modules? I'm hoping i dont have to delete my installation and install from scratch as i have done a fair bit of work that I dont want to lose. ... i geuss if i could install each one individually that'd be fine too as a solution.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Re: DotNetNuke 3.1.0 Missing 10 Modules - FIXED

Okay kids, here's the fix:

Copy all the missing modules to the /install/modules directory and browse to http://<yourdomainnname>/install/install.aspx?mode=InstallResources

What would we do without forums??? hehehehe

Gregorius said:
Okay kids, here's the fix:

Copy all the missing modules to the /install/modules directory and browse to http://<yourdomainnname>/install/install.aspx?mode=InstallResources

What would we do without forums??? hehehehe

I had the same problem, but this fix didn't work for me. I don't know why. I would go to that URL and it would say everything worked but it did nothing. It would delete the ZIP files from the Install/Modules directory but nothing was installed.

I ened up having to go into the HOST admin section and add each module manually.

Homer said:
I had the same problem, but this fix didn't work for me. I don't know why. I would go to that URL and it would say everything worked but it did nothing. It would delete the ZIP files from the Install/Modules directory but nothing was installed.

I ened up having to go into the HOST admin section and add each module manually.

I had to do the same things... it was very strange. By the way the newer version is out and it definitely adds some speed to things... I am very pleased with it. I think it is 3.1.1.

Greg

gsaunders said:
I had to do the same things... it was very strange. By the way the newer version is out and it definitely adds some speed to things... I am very pleased with it. I think it is 3.1.1.

Cool... Is it easy to upgrade?

Homer said:

Not sure if you're doing the same thing.. i was trying to get the core modules installed.. they are located in directories under 'DesktopModules', but do not have zip files...

are you thinking that this was a way to install modules from packaged zip files? if so, then i dont think its designed to work that way.. you have to install them manually through the Module Definitions section.

Gregorius said:
Not sure if you're doing the same thing.. i was trying to get the core modules installed.. they are located in directories under 'DesktopModules', but do not have zip files...

are you thinking that this was a way to install modules from packaged zip files? if so, then i dont think its designed to work that way.. you have to install them manually through the Module Definitions section.

the .ZIP files are found at ..\Install\Module\*.zip. I had to go to the host / module section and upload those corresponding zip files for the modules that were missing. I think we are indeed talking about the same thing. Upload via the module definition section from the folder I listed above.

Gregorius said:
Cool... Is it easy to upgrade?

yep... just unzip over the existing instalation... make sure you use the same type of installation... unzip source version over source version OR unzip non-source version over non-source version.

i believe you want to keep the following lines from the old web.config to the new web.config

<add key="SiteSqlServer"...........
<add key="MachineValidationKey" value=".....
<add key="MachineDecryptionKey" value="....

Basically I backed up my database, backed up my web.config, unzipped over exising install, renamed the new release.config to web.config, copied the three keys from the old web.config into the new one, and then went to the site and the upgrade performed. At least that is how i remember it.

Backup first... it is much faster in my opinion and they have fixed a bunch of problems.

Of course if you have any add on modules you will want to verify they will work with 3.1.1 from the software developer. Most things do, but some have needed adjustments.

Greg

gsaunders said:
yep... just unzip over the existing instalation...

Nice one, thanks for the info... think i'll wait until i've completed this project before upgrading.. dont really feel like being held up again.

Gregorius said:
Nice one, thanks for the info... think i'll wait until i've completed this project before upgrading.. dont really feel like being held up again.

It is definitely a welcome update. if only for the speed difference I have noticed!

Gregorius said:

I was trying to get the modules from the Install/Module directory to install themselves. You can apparently place ZIP files contain modules that you want installed into this directory and they can be installed by DNN on a scheduled basis. This quote from the installation doc is interesting:

In version 3.1, the core Desktop Modules are all located by default in the /Install/Module folder so that they all install automatically

However, mine did not get installed automatically. So I placed the ZIP files there again and followed these instructions:

The administrator can then trigger the Install by using the url - "Install/Install.aspx?mode =Install".

Still didn't work. So I uploaded one at a time and installed manually.

This was in version 3.1.0. I believe this problem has been fixed in the relase last week, which is 3.1.1.

gsaunders said:
It is definitely a welcome update. if only for the speed difference I have noticed!

What version were you running before you upgraded to 3.1.1?

I am running 3.1.0 and the performance increase I got over the 3.0.12 version is noticable. I'm going to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 today if I can find the time.

Homer said:
What version were you running before you upgraded to 3.1.1?

I am running 3.1.0 and the performance increase I got over the 3.0.12 version is noticable. I'm going to upgrade from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 today if I can find the time.

I was on 3.1.0.

Just for the record I had the same problem with 3.1.0 and simply added the missing modules manually. It was no big deal but it is nice that is fixed in the new version.

gsc4 said:
Just for the record I had the same problem with 3.1.0 and simply added the missing modules manually. It was no big deal but it is nice that is fixed in the new version.

They have deliberately left out some modules in 3.1.1. You still have to add some new ones. Now if it is an upgrade it will see them, but new installs still leave some off. They state this on the dotnetnuke forums

gsaunders said:
<br>
Coooool... i upgraded and you're right, its HEAPS faster. yaaaaay i was beginning to worry about DNN with the incredibly slow speeds of 3.1.0 ... glad they've fixed that.
<br><br>
thanks for the heads up on that one. :)

Where can I find a good free selection of skins for DNN? The only large selections I have found are $40 to $50 for each skin. Thats a bit expensive.

That is one place where DNN is much different (and in my opinion not as good) than PHP Nuke. Seems like so much of the DNN add-on stuff is not free. But PHP Nuke has a lot of free stuff. I admit that DNN stuff is pretty cheap for the most part, but $50 for a single (generic) skin is not what I would call cheap. $50 for a custom skin maybe. I'd pay $50 for a forum (and have in the past) or some other module. But maybe thats just me. :crazy:

Perhaps the difference is:

PHP + Linux = free
ASP.NET + Windows = $$$

Homer said:
Where can I find a good free selection of skins for DNN? The only large selections I have found are $40 to $50 for each skin. Thats a bit expensive.

That is one place where DNN is much different (and in my opinion not as good) than PHP Nuke. Seems like so much of the DNN add-on stuff is not free. But PHP Nuke has a lot of free stuff. I admit that DNN stuff is pretty cheap for the most part, but $50 for a single (generic) skin is not what I would call cheap. $50 for a custom skin maybe. I'd pay $50 for a forum (and have in the past) or some other module. But maybe thats just me. :crazy:

Perhaps the difference is:

PHP + Linux = free
ASP.NET + Windows = $$$

I have found the same in regards to available skins. Here is a link to my spurls from spurl.net that have my current DNN sites that I visit. I don't know if you will find anything new through them or not.

http://www.spurl.net/discover/user/myITAnalyst/

OR you can go to my del.icio.us site with the links there.

http://del.icio.us/myitanalyst

I have found that the free DNN skins to not be very good either. I want to learn how to do my own soon, but time is the difficult thing for me at the moment.

Thanks. I have found http://www.kreko.com/ and suspect I'll sign up with them. You get a whole slew of skins for $40 and any new ones he developes in the next year.

I suck at graphic design so it is really hard for me to try and make these myself. I may be able to just modify one of the core skins to meet my needs though by just changing some colors.

Back