DotNetNuke is slow, anyone else?

My DNN site is slow, it takes quite a while to load each page. Does anyone else experience this? Are the IIS servers IIS 6? Is compression on?

What are your page generation times like? What server are you on? I suggest you submit a ticket and we'll investigate

I'm on win6 and sql2 I think. I know this topic has come up at the dnn forums and just wondered if people here experience a slow site. Page loads can take 10-20 seconds. I know if its the 1st time hit in a while that the dll has to load since it was probably removed from memory.

JiltedCitizen said:
I know this topic has come up at the dnn forums and just wondered if people here experience a slow site.
I think DNN could be optimized for better performance. This is just a gut feeling of mine, I don't have proof of that. I've seen similar products like Community Server (that have a lot of attention to performance built into their design) that work faster than DNN.

Obviously the amount of data/content on the page makes a difference. I also think that the skin and container design makes a difference. I have seen some skin designers mention that they pay particular attention to performance.

I also wonder how another database back-end (other than MS SQL Server) would perform? The fact that DNN no longer supports Access is proof of how close the DNN folks are working with MS. Not that Access would be better, it wouldn't. But maybe something like MySQL or even a FoxPro data back-end would perform well. In theory you can create your own data provider for DNN but in reality that would be a lot of work, not only to create it but to maintainit and to alter every module you wanted to use to use it.

My DNN site is working well even when my SQL5 server is heavily loaded. For example, during the time pictured below (see attachments) my pages were still coming back in less than 3 seconds.

Attachments

• sql5-5min-2005-12-03.JPG
    sql5-5min-2005-12-03.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 335
  • sql5-24hr-2005-12-03.JPG
    sql5-24hr-2005-12-03.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 334
I think it has to do with the shared environment and unloading of DLL's. My skin could be makeing it slow too. I made it and had no idea what I was doing.

Back