DotNetNuke / MSSQL Setup

Hi, I've seen a few people have dnn running here, but what did you have to do to get it running?

I have a clean db created, and getting permissions errors..

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'ezus_GetDatabaseVersion', database 'ezeenow_dnn', owner 'dbo'.

my web.config is:

<add name = "SqlDataProvider" type = "DotNetNuke.Data.SqlDataProvider, DotNetNuke.SqlDataProvider"
connectionString = "Server=mssql2.jodoshared.com;Database=ezeenow_dnn;uid=ezeenow_admin;pwd=mypassword;"
providerPath = "~\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\"
objectQualifier = "ezus"
databaseOwner = "dbo"
/>

Obviosly I enter the correct password here, but should the databaseOwner be set to dbo or my admin user? Also do you use the server name or ip?

Thanks

Ant.

Have you asked Support for DBO permissions on your database? If not, that's the problem. Go ahead and ask and it would be applied immediately

yes, it looks like a db permissions problem - if I use dbo as the owner it don't let me execute the procedures, yet if I use my admin user as owner it don't perform the correct updates on the db tables created by the version 1.0.x scripts (using 'dbo').

set your admin user as owner and open a ticket requesting DBO permissions for it on your database

Hi, thanks Yash, i've just requested this so ill give it a try tommorow.

I can always go with uploading the db from my pc, ill give this a try if permissions dont work.

Thanks'

Ant

Its a problem with the DotNetNuke installer. I'm trying to install too and have asked for all sorts of help on www.asp.net. DNN's forums. Version 2.04 appears to not like underscores in the DB name or User name. Username is fine, but since JodoHost automatically puts an underscore in I'm not sure what to so. Either request a DB without the underscore, or run the scripts manually or transfer my local DB to host. Which I'm not sure how to do exactly.

What error are you getting?

There are mainly two things you need to request. Full ASP.NET permissions and DBO permissions to any username in your database

JiltedCitizen said:
Version 2.04 appears to not like underscores in the DB name or User name. Username is fine, but since JodoHost automatically puts an underscore in I'm not sure what to so. Either request a DB without the underscore, or run the scripts manually or transfer my local DB to host. Which I'm not sure how to do exactly.

Is this underscore glitch for real? I'm having DNN install probs too. Jodo support told me I -had- to put my DNN portal in the root with a sub domain. I think that's crap. They also said that ASPNET account -did have- write permission in the folder and yet the prob still exists. I know how to setup connection strings, that's not my prob. Not being able to connect as "dbo" account is a bit of a prob but you can export from your localhost database to Jodo database to overcome.

Here're my questions to anyone with DNN running on Jodo shared servers...

1) Is it running in a folder like: mysite.com/myDNNfolder

2) Are your DNN stored procedures owned by "dbo" or your "user_something" account? If "dbo", how?

3) Isn't it a security risk having -any- account with write access in your web?

Thanks for your advice guys,

Mark :)

As far as I know its true. I ended up transfering my DB from local to jodohost. All SP's are in dbo then. And I run mine in root directory. It works mostly. I do get an error when i try to admin portals that I've not hammered out yet. But I'm not concerned about it. Everything else works.

JiltedCitizen said:
As far as I know its true. I ended up transfering my DB from local to jodohost. All SP's are in dbo then. And I run mine in root directory. It works mostly. I do get an error when i try to admin portals that I've not hammered out yet. But I'm not concerned about it. Everything else works.

Did Jodo give "ASPNET" account full write in your root web?

Yep, got the dbo rights in place. Just sent a ticket for the root web permissions. Cross your fingers.

Thanks for your replies,

One last quickie...

In the web.config, there is a line where you can change the account name for dbo. It defaults to "dbo" of course. Did you leave that line dbo, or change it to your Jodo assigned login?

Back